Christa's Reviews > Forget Me Not

Forget Me Not by Marliss Melton

Jul 16, 08

bookshelves: library
Read in July, 2008

Forget Me Not is an entertaining, fast-paced, romantic suspense novel that focuses on a group of U.S. Navy SEALS. It is the first book in the Seal Team 12 series.

The hero, Gabe Renault, is believed dead after a SEALS mission that went wrong. Gabe had dedicated his life to his SEALS team while letting his relationship with his wife and daughter suffer. Gabe was an emotionally aloof man who believed that to feel and show love for his family was to make him weak. Helen Renault was disillusioned with Gabe after two years of marriage. Marrying him did not give she and her daughter the family of which she dreamed. When Gabe is missing after a mission, Helen begins to rebuild her life, believing him to be dead. She relishes her newfound independence. Just declared dead after missing for a year, Gabe suddenly turns up alive. After being brutally tortured, he has lost his memory of the last three years. Helen reluctantly takes him home to heal, determined that she will not let her feelings for Gabe resurface and threaten her new life. She intends for him to leave as soon as his health and memories return. As Gabe settles into the routine of being back home, he seems to be a changed man. Gabe is much more open and wants Helen to give him another chance. As she tries to decide whether to risk herself and her daughter with him again, Gabe begins to believe that his life is in danger. He has to figure out what happened and who is behind the mission that changed his life, while Helen has to decide if she can trust him with her heart.

I found this book to be very enjoyable. I had a few reservations about Helen's character. Even though she had been hurt by Gabe's emotional detachment, I felt that she should have been more sympathetic when he was found alive. The book said that she felt relief when he was declared dead, and she seemed to resent the fact that he was found alive. She came around fairly quickly, and I ended up liking her for the most part. Gabe, as the man he was after being held hostage and tortured, was a great hero. He learned that the love he held for his wife and daughter made him strong enough to survive his captivity, and that nothing was as important as his family. Questions were left unanswered as to the suspense part of the novel. I look forward to reading the rest of the series to find out what happens.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forget Me Not.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Auntee Ooh, love this series Christa!:)

Christa I'm glad to hear that! So far, I've loved the books that you have recommended. I'm anxious to read this one, but I have a couple of others that I need to get to first. I'm looking forward to this one.

Pamela(AllHoney) yep great series! My personal fave of the series was Next to Die (#4). Can't hardly wait for the next book Gone to Far (#6).

Christa I found the first one at the library, but they don't have any of the others, so I guess I need to go ahead and start ordering them.

Auntee Glad you liked it Christa! And if you keep going with the series, you'll find out what happens!:)

Christa Auntee, I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. Does the same storyline, as far as who and what was involved in the mission gone bad continue through all of the books in the seriees?

Auntee I'm trying to remember because it's been awhile since I read the earlier books. I think Gabe's storyline gets resolved in the next book or possibly the one after. I'll take a look at my books and let you know. I know lots of the characters pop up in each other's books, so you haven't seen the last of Gabe and Helen! :)

Christa Thanks, Auntee, I'll be glad to see more of Gabe and Helen. I hope that the storyline does get resolved in the next few books - otherwise I'll forget what's going on before I get to the rest of them.

Auntee I just checked my books Christa (God, I'd love to re-read this series!) and Gabe's story gets resolved in the next book, "In the Dark". But Gabe and Helen and a lot of other characters that you haven't read about yet will pop up in the 4th book called "Next to Die" (one of my favorites)!

Christa Thanks for the information. I'm going to try to round up the other books in the series quickly so that I can continue on.

Tbabe001 Just started this book, Helen comes off as needy and not very nice.....the guy was injured for Christ sake. She was happy he was dead.... Like seriously.

Christa I loved this series. While I liked this one, I thought the subsequent books were even better.