Tom Bombadil's Reviews > The Diviners

The Diviners by Libba Bray

Sep 29, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, 2012, paranormal, favourites, reviewed
Read from September 18 to 28, 2012

Libba Bray, I adore you (in a completely platonic way, of course). I remember seeing the description for this book about six months back and thinking, "Libba Bray? The 1920s?! Supernatural elements?!?! Oh my God, I'm buying it." Flash forward to September and my expectations were met and exceeded. I mean, this book was FANTASTIC. Like, instantly-adding-it-to-my-favourites fantastic. I-can't-really-make-coherent-sentences-right-now fantastic. Just. FANTASTIC!

First off, let me say that I really appreciated how Libba Bray didn't over-romanticize the time period. I mean, sure, I bet the Roaring Twenties must have been awesome - flappers and pretty dresses and jazz music and F. Scott Fitzgerald and speakeasies and all - but just like any era, there were things wrong with it. Like rampant racism, sexism and cults, for example. Not so awesome. So, the relatively neutral view on the era was nice. Thank you, Libba!

On that note, the supernatural elements in this book were actually really creepy. I mean, holy crap, I was definitely not expecting such a flat-out frightening villain with such a disturbing background. They had me madly flipping the pages for sure. (and maybe whimpering under my covers too. maybe.)

Aside from that, the characters in this book were wonderful too. Evie was just so much fun - so fresh and so different from most YA heroines. It's like a lot of young-adult authors are scared to make their heroines too interesting for some reason, so they just make them one-note and bland instead. Like, they exist merely to be narrators for the story. FICTIONAL CHARACTERS CAN BE LARGER THAN LIFE, DAMMIT. THAT'S WHY THEY'RE FICTIONAL. The supporting characters were great fun as well. I especially liked Memphis, a Harlem numbers runner; Theta, a chorus girl with a dark past; Will, Evie's uncle (who I kind of had a weird crush on) and Mabel, Evie's best friend. Also, I think this is the first love triangle in the history of literature that I a) actually liked and b) enjoyed both of the hypotenuses (lame math joke, sorry, but it had to be done) and genuinely wondered which one of them would end up with who. Again: Thank you, Libba!

I've already recommended this to my entire circle of friends and other schoolmates, so now I'll do the same to all those on Goodreads. This is a fantastic, amazing book - do not miss it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diviners.

09/18/2012 page 10
1.0% ""Prohibition? I drink to its health whenever I can." -ba dum tssss-"
09/23/2012 page 180
31.0% "this is getting creepy!"
09/27/2012 page 464
80.0% "GIMME YOUR TALENT, LIBBA BRAY. (& I mean this in the nicest way possible, of course)"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Noël Swain I totally agree with you about Will! I think part of the reason I had a crush on him is because whenever I think of mysterious smoking men I cut to Don Draper and picturing Will as Jon Hamm definitely got me more interested ;).

Such a fabulous start, I can't wait for the others!

Leanna wouldn't you love to work at that Museum with both Will & Jericho all day? :) haha

message 3: by Em (new) - rated it 5 stars

Em .. I may have had a small crush on Will, too. I feel better saying that knowing someone else did, too XD I think the love triangle was alright, but if Libba makes it into a bigger thing, UGH.