Jacob's Reviews > Demonology: Stories

Demonology by Rick Moody

Jan 31, 12

bookshelves: 2012, short-fiction
Read from January 28 to 31, 2012

Fucking terrible. And I thought Chuck Palahniuk was a bad writer. Sorry, dude.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demonology.

message 1: by Ali (new)

Ali I just got a bunch of Moody's books about two weeks ago, and this is one of them, so I'm glad you're reading it. I will wait until your book review to decide if it should be my next short story collection. In the meantime, I will continue climbing Mt. Les Misérables!

Jacob I'm mostly just reading it because I seem to find a copy in every used bookstore I visit. I've never been curious enough to buy it, but I want to read it to get it out of my system. Only read a few stories so far, but it's not bad.

message 3: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I'm mostly just reading it because I seem to find a copy in every used bookstore I visit.

I usually take that as a warning.

message 4: by Ali (new)

Ali I'm mostly just reading it because I seem to find a copy in every used bookstore I visit.
I experienced something similar. I don't visit bookstores, but I do see Rick Moody's name all over the web, and eventually I just gave in and decided to get his books to see what the big deal was. Doing that has rarely had good results for me, though that has more to do with my taste in literature than the quality of the books, but sometimes I find good stuff.

Jacob Miriam wrote: "I usually take that as a warning."

It was enough of a warning to stick with the library, for once. And it still isn't as abundant as used copies of Franzen's The Corrections.

message 6: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Not reading that, either...

message 7: by Ali (new)

Ali And it still isn't as abundant as used copies of Franzen's The Corrections.

Fuck that book. Fuck it hard. I don't even know what it's about, and hearing its name fills me with h8red, just because of how many times I hear about it from book readers who swear it's the greatest thing evar.

Jacob Miriam wrote: "Not reading that, either..."

I'm tempted to, but mostly just because I have the review already written...

Ali wrote: "eventually I just gave in and decided to get his books to see what the big deal was. Doing that has rarely had good results for me, though that has more to do with my taste in literature than the quality of the books, but sometimes I find good stuff."

Yeah, that happens to me, too. This isn't exactly bad, it's just forgettable. It helps that I was just looking for something light and forgettable to read, and this one just happened to fit the bill.

Jacob The first story actually seemed decent! Guy in chicken suit gets job at marriage emporium? Look, Rick Moody wrote a quirky story, haha! Except...that was the only good one. Everything else felt like Moody lazily slapped a bunch of ideas together, italicized random words or phrases (all over the place, even!) and somehow got it published. Ugh.

message 10: by Trudi (new)

Trudi What did Chuck ever do to you man? (save write some pretty pretentious shitty prose that is)

message 11: by Trudi (new)

Trudi Jacob wrote: "And it still isn't as abundant as used copies of Franzen's The Corrections"

message 12: by William1 (new)

William1 The novelist Dale Peck has written at length about his extreme dislike of Moody's work. Just hates the SOB.

message 13: by Jacob (last edited Jan 31, 2012 08:59PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacob I know, I just found his review, and I love it.

"Rick Moody is the worst writer of his generation."

message 14: by Ali (new)

Ali Yeah, I read a review of peck's which is now famous in literary circles who know of it because of its forocity. It begins with something like, "Rick Moody is the worst writer of his generation", and goes downhill from there.

message 15: by Jacob (last edited Jan 31, 2012 09:10PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacob Trudi wrote: "LOL! This book breeds with itself, I swear! I've weeded so many copies at my library, yet there's always four sitting on the shelf a few days later...WTF? "

Yeah, I just wrote a review of The Corrections on that very subject. Now I just have to read the book...

Nothing, save write some pretty pretentious shitty prose :) I just enjoy tearing apart his books. In reviews, of course.

message 16: by Ali (new)

Ali Our (more accurately, Jacob and his group of friends, and my) history with Palahniuk appears to be quite long and sortid. Seems like everyone has written scathing reviews of his stuff, over which friends have been made and giant discussions had. He's the author you love to hate, but the relationship is deeper. He's more like "the author you love to hate so you can then be funny in reviews expressing your hatred, which will in turn make you famous among similarly minded people who are doing the exact same thing". Which isn't all that catchy and cliched, but it fits better.

message 17: by Trudi (new)

Trudi Ah! I got as far as Haunted and could venture no further. Nor could I summon the vitriol it would have taken to launch a scathing review. I'm lazy :)

message 18: by Jacob (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacob I liked Fight Club, but I liked everything after Fight Club slightly less than the one before. Haunted was so-so. Everything since Rant has been pure crap, but I had fun reviewing most of them. Especially Damned. Pardon the shameless self-promotion.

message 19: by Jacob (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacob It's possible that everything before Rant was pure crap as well, but my reading tastes in 2005-2006 weren't quite as refined as they are now. No laughing!

message 20: by Trudi (new)

Trudi Ha! Sorry... that one was completely out of my control ... also, you are forgiven for shameless self-promotion thanks to the accompanying high entertainment value.

It's late. I'm tired. I giggled aloud. That's good shit.

message 21: by Ali (last edited Jan 31, 2012 09:37PM) (new)

Ali I, too, blame my immature reading tastes for the fact that I used to love him. I don't know why, and even when I loved him, I could still acknowledge the problems with his books, but I still loved them. Around the time Snuff came along, I started to understand the awful truth, not fully getting it until the beginning of 2011, when my tastes began evolving at an insane rate, and I found myself not being able to stand authors to whom I was unendingly devoted just a short while before, replacing them with the likes of Philip K. Dick or Thomas Pynchon or David Foster Wallace. Now, the only thing I like by him is Fight Club, along with a few fragments of some of his later books.

message 22: by Jacob (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacob I read Fight Club the summer after high school and the others in one big rush late 2005/early 2006, and didn't really think critically about them--but the long gap between those books and the publication of Rant in '07 were enough to change things. It helps that I discovered John Irving during that gap. Of course, my tastes are still evolving, and I still end up reading absolute crap (Moody being one example)...and I still haven't read Dick or Pynchon or DFW or many other great writers, but I'm getting there.

message 23: by Ali (last edited Feb 01, 2012 05:49AM) (new)

Ali Oh, I didn't realize you were done with the book and rated it already. Let's see this...

One star? Hmmm, on one hand, you're a little freer with your one-star ratings (a lot of the books you would consider to be worthy of a single star, I might give two, which has nothing to do with the quality, but our slightly differing standards on what books are bad enough to get one star [For me, it must have no merits whatsoever, I must have nothing but negative {and hopefully funny and entertaining} things to say about it, and I can find absolutely no reason to recommend it to anyone, ever]), but still, the books to which you've given this rating that I've read are fucking awful all the same. Review-reading time!

"Fucking terrible. And I thought Chuck Palahniuk was a bad writer. Sorry, dude."
Well then... I take it it's so terrible you can't even write up a snarky review about it's badness? I think it's off my reading list, then.

message 24: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Does the fact that you can't use Rick Moody's name as an exclamation further detract from his work?

"RICK MOODY!"

Yeah, just doesn't ring like Chucky's name does.

message 25: by Miriam (new)

Miriam His name even has the word "DOOM" in and still isn't impressive. Lame.

message 26: by Jacob (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacob Yeah, I do give out 1-star ratings somewhat freely, but that's because my rating system reserves two stars to books that I didn't like but still recognize as having some redeeming value. I didn't think it was a good book, but it also wasn't MY kind of book, that sort of thing.

Yep. Sometimes I'm passionate about my hatred for a book. Other times, I just don't give a fuck. Moody isn't worth the snark.

message 27: by j (new)

j "I read Fight Club the summer after high school and the others in one big rush late 2005/early 2006..."

stop making me feel old.

message 28: by Jacob (last edited Feb 01, 2012 08:52PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jacob The Columbine shooting happened in sixth grade. I was a high school freshman on 9/11. And I wasn't quite old enough to vote against Bush in 2004.

Need any more?