David's Reviews > Eona: The Last Dragoneye

Eona by Alison Goodman

May 25, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult
Read in January, 2012

The first book was more focused and very emotionally riveting throughout. In contrast, the sequel seems bloated in comparison (at 637 pages, I have a hard time believing that the same story could have not been told more succinctly). The character development, however, is very sophisticated, and the interplay on themes of freedom, power, love, betrayal, honesty, and duty rings with the truth of human experience. The book is worth reading to understand the full story behind the world we were able to visit in Eon and to trace the whole circle of Eona's emotional development (which is actually very substantive, compared to some other heroes of young adult books, whom one already knows to be good), though it also took some effort for me to get through the pages of 300 to 500 or thereabouts.

What I liked best about Eona's character development is that it is so believable, precisely because as readers we don't even understand the wrongness of what she is doing sometimes. We are so in sympathy with her that we understand her emotional responses and reasoning behind her actions - it requires other characters to react to her in meaningful ways for her, and us as the audience, to see the ways in which she can face the truth of her being and mature more fully. I think it takes great skill to make a character that is so fundamentally flawed (as most of us are) that the flaws themselves are actually difficult to perceive. Lord Ido serves as the perfect consort to these flaws, because when neuroses are transformed into accomplishment and power, it is difficult to continue to see the fundamentally distorted sense of self that lies behind that power.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eona.