Justin Kemppainen's Reviews > A Spell for Chameleon

A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony

M 50x66
Jan 28, 2012

liked it

I definitely enjoyed this book, but I'm a little out of the demographic at this point in my life. The language, plotting, and so on are a little closer to mid-late teenage males, but this doesn't make it bad.

The writing and story is simple. The world is not designed with particular attention and elegance; it's more organic. People who are looking for a very deep world are not likely to find it in Xanth (at least the first book). The characters are also quite simple. They've got a couple of layers and facets, but nothing amazing in depth or complexity.

Story-wise, it's a bit predictable, feels a bit like a generic fantasy adventure, and it features Piers Anthony's somewhat strange fixation on post-pubescent sexual nature and development. It's not bad, terribly inappropriate, or even terribly pandering, but there's definitely a bit of emphasis on this.

Still, it's enjoyable enough for a read, but I don't have any particular drive to keep going in the very long series. Not quite my cup of tea, but still a quick, fun read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Spell for Chameleon.

04/08/2016 marked as: read