Simcha Wood's Reviews > Lost and Found: Three by Shaun Tan

Lost and Found by Shaun Tan

Jan 28, 12

Read on January 28, 2012

I don't generally take the opportunity to read picture books these days, so I feel a bit fortunate to have come across Shaun Tan's Lost and Found. This book combines three brilliantly crafted stories with the most mesmerizing artwork I've ever seen in a book ostensibly targeted to children.

Though it is a children's book, the book is one of those rare jewels that can be appreciated by people of all ages. The stories are not dumbed down, but they have a surface simplicity that will make them immediately accessible to the 9 and 10 year olds who make up the lower age range of the book's target audience. But the stories are also marked by a nuance and depth of emotion that will only become apparent to the book's older readers.

The artwork is tremendous, and many of the pictures seem to ask to be meditated upon and explored at leisure. They not only complement the tone and narrative of the text, they give the reader a real sense that these stories are not just little self-contained jewels, but are instead glimpses into a much larger, much more complex world.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost and Found.