Shauna's Reviews > Shades of Milk and Honey

1204564
Jan 28, 2012

liked it
Read in May, 2011

SFWA members nominated Shades of Milk and Honey for best novel of 2010, so you may wish to disregard my low rating. But I say something on Goodreads about almost everything I read, so I will comment on Shades of Milk and Honey.

This book is set in an alternate England during the Regency in which magic exists. With Kowal as the author, you would expect the writing to be great, and it is. The plot holds together, and the characters are believable.

So what’s my problem, you ask? I kept waiting for something special to happen because of the magical element to set this novel apart from every other novel set in the real or an alternate Regency, and it never did. One could take the magic out of this book and it would still work with some revision.

Perhaps many SFWA don’t read romance or historical novels set in the Regency and so found this comedy of manners a delightful change from what they usually read. But for someone who does read books set in this period, Shades of Milk and Honey offered nothing new.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Milk and Honey.