Kelsey's Reviews > The Demon Catchers of Milan

The Demon Catchers of Milan by Kat Beyer

Jul 31, 12

bookshelves: 2012, netgalley, e-book
Read from July 27 to 29, 2012 — I own a copy

I had not heard much about this book before I requested it on Netgalley, but the cover was beautiful and the summary sounded promising and different, so I wanted to give it a shot. While this wasn't exactly what I was expecting, it was still an entertaining and unique read.

The Demon Catchers of Milan sounded like a novel that would be full of action and plot-twists, but this wasn't the case. It started off with a bang, but soon slowed down. I was expecting something a little different in regards to the actual "demon catching", as well as more action, but even though it wasn't extremely fast-paced, The Demon Catchers of Milan still held my attention and I enjoyed the characters and setting.

I don't really know how to put this, but I enjoyed the book, even though I didn't feel like I had finished it, so to speak. I still felt there was a big plot-twist or revelation that was going to happen and the ending was a little bit of a let-down. Mia was kept in the dark about most things and, thus, so was the reader, which was at times frustrating. I did like Mia, though, and the fact that the majority of the book took place in Italy was a definite plus. Mia did have a great personality and I liked how she wasn't afraid to ask questions, even though she rarely got answers.

The other characters were a tad hard to keep track of, but a few really stood out to me. The Demon Catchers of Milan focused a lot more on family, rather than on romance, which was refreshing and it proved that not every book needs romance to work.

This was a book I feel a bit torn about because it had all the makings of a book I would love, but there was just something missing. I am still eager to see what is next for Kat Beyer because this debut had a lot of potential. I have to say this book was very original and unique mainly because the dark world of demons imagined by Kat Beyer was so fresh and different. All in all, this book left me with more questions than answers, but I enjoyed the character of Mia, the dark and mysterious setting, and the creative take on demons.

Overall: 3 out of 5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon Catchers of Milan.

07/27/2012 page 32
11.0% "Seems interesting so far"
07/28/2012 page 150
52.0% "Still a little confused, but the setting is great!"