David's Reviews > Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Jan 28, 12

bookshelves: american-history, biography-memoir
Read in January, 2012

History's memory is fickle. Or, maybe I just don't know as much as I thought I did. I had never heard of Louis Zamperini, although he was apparently a household name in the years before and after World War II.

As with most stories of lives lived during WWII, Zamperini's story is both inspirational and devastating. Laura Hillenbrand, the author of Seabiscuit, brings Zamperini to life for a 21st century audience, recounting his troubled early years (which turn out to be siginificant to his survival during the war), his fame as a track star who could easily have been the first person to run the four-minute mile, and his capture by the Japanese during the war.

This book was hard to put down; even though the war experiences and ordeals are tragically familiar to anyone with an interest in WWII, the story is told with an immediacy that keeps you on the edge of your seat, even though you know Louis survives.

I'm glad Louis Zamperini has such a talented biographer who can ensure that his life is remembered by this and future generations.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbroken.