David's Reviews > The End of The Alphabet

The End of The Alphabet by C.S. Richardson

Jan 28, 2012

bookshelves: fiction, favorites
Read in January, 2012

I will admit that I can be somewhat sentimental when it comes to movies or music, but that is almost never the case with books. I appreciate good writing, and can marvel at an author’s imagination and use of creative images or descriptions, but I rarely feel a lump in my throat, or feel that strange, wonderful sensation of smiling while tears form in my eyes.
This book is the rare exception. It is a jewel of a book – small, short (only 119 pages), and with a clarity and directness that reveal depths far beyond what you would expect. I won’t describe the plot – it’s easy enough to look that up elsewhere. I’ll just say that the author does a masterful job of creating, in a very short space, two characters that you not only believe in but care about and relate to. Strangely enough, though, these believable characters inhabit a highly imaginative world and story that is one step removed from reality. The writing style reminds me of Jeanette Winterson in its creative use of language, description and setting, though nothing is as fantastical as in her works. Everything is just real enough to evoke strong emotions of understanding and connection, while just un-real enough to make this seem more a fable or morality tale than a novella.
As mentioned, this is a short book that can be read in a couple of hours. It is beautiful, sad, heartwarming, devastating and imaginative. It’s the newest addition to my list of all-time favorites, which is a very short list.
Oh, and the last sentence is where I laughed and cried at the same time. But don’t look ahead…

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of The Alphabet.