Charlotte's Reviews > The Rope Walk

The Rope Walk by Carrie Brown

F 50x66
Jan 28, 2012

Read from June 03 to 21, 2012

I read this book in the large print edition, and the larger print seemed quite fitting for the age of the main character.
It bothered me some that Alice did not have more supervision and that the housekeeping at her own home was less than desirable; but if she had had more supervision and a home that had more stringent housekeeping rules, Alice could not have had all the adventures she did have.
After reading about another house Alice visited, I wanted to put the book down until I had cleaned my own house.
I did not like some of the language used by Alice's brothers and the neighbor man that Alice and her friend Theo visited and thought perhaps a mother would have put a stop to that.
As for Theo, it seemed that Alice's family accepted the little fellow and his way of doing things pretty well, not knowing when he would be leaving. I could see why Alice would be fascinated with Theo.
Although I was irritated with an action of Kenneth, I thought the author created a satisfactory ending that was believable.
The little girl pictured on the cover seems the right age for Alice, but where are her springy red curls?
I can't imagine daffodils blooming in Vermont as late as the end of May and haven't seen any daffodils that keep their trumpets upright so that they could catch hailstones, but maybe there are different daffodils in Vermont. I found a few typos, also, but I am still glad I read the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rope Walk.