Kristi's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Feb 10, 15

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read in January, 2008

What an unbelievable book. If you haven’t read it, you should. If you're thinking about reading it do it now.

I don’t know about you, but I love getting stuff in the mail, especially getting packages. Well so does the main character of this story, Clay. But Clay would rather have not received this package.

Hannah Baker. Clay has had a crush on Hannah forever, but he never had the guts to really tell her. Now he never will. Hannah committed suicide. But before Hannah killed herself she left something behind. Seven cassette tapes. Seven tapes that tell the story of the thirteen people that caused Hannah to feel that she had no where to turn.

Each person has a story within the tapes and it is your responsibility after you listen to the tapes to pass it onto the next person. But what did Clay do? How could he be one of the people responsible for her suicide, he will have to listen to the tapes to find out.

This is one of the most compelling books I’ve ever read. It is right up there with Picoult’s Nineteen Minutes. This is definitely one of those books that makes you look at the way you treat people and how fragile we are as humans. I cried, I laughed, I felt.

Suicide is the third leading cause of death in people ranging in the ages 15-24. If you know someone who has talked about committing suicide, please don’t take it lightly. You might be the one person they are reaching out to.
142 likes · Likeflag

Comments (showing 1-13)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Elise Is this worth a buy or is this library read?

Chicklitgirl worth a buy, most def

Isobel M I loved this book and want everyone to read it and see the causes and consequences of suicide. Loved the review very well done!

message 10: by Philharmonic (new) - added it

Philharmonic EightThirty Up to page 72 and it is very good! Seriously deep and mentally stimulating and the way it's unfolding so far makes me think a lot about stuff, even about myself.

Sarah I completely agree with the rating, this an AMAZING book. I'm even thinking of reading it again, it was that good. If you just think of yourself in Clay's shoes it makes it even better. Best book of 2013 so far for me!

message 8: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Thior This review convinced me to read the book.

Daphnem1 I agree, this book was amazing.

Gretchen Thanks for the great review. I am currently halfway through this book. My sister, age 36, took her own life 3 1/2 years ago. I am finally able to read something like this.

Jacqueline Levine Thanks for this great review; I find people either love or hate this book, and I think I was one of the few of my friends who loved it. I just found it to be a very interesting, if dark, concept. If YA is your thing, particularly contemporary YA, id love to hear your take on my upcoming novel, Spiral. Here's the website: Spiralseries.com. There's a link to a preview if it sounds like something you would want to read. (It's not for sale yet, most likely next week, but feedback is always good! Yours sounds like the type Id like to have!)
Happy reading!

Audrey I'm definitely going to read the book. I just saw the trailer, not even the official trailer, a fan made one, and it was so, so sad.

Hayley Mayo I totally agree! This is a great book and a must read! I love how it kept me on the edge of my seat and I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN. I feel sorry for Clay and how he thought he did nothing wrong for her actions.. and I feel sorry for him for not being able to be with Hannah. :( The author did a great job with putting real life situations in his book. Loved it.

message 2: by Haley (new)

Haley *you're

Kristi Haley wrote: "*you're"

gah! i hate when i do that i don't catch it. thanks for the heads up!