Bridget's Reviews > A Hoe Lot of Trouble

2076050
Jan 28, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads
Read in January, 2012

Since I came down with pneumonia shortly after Christmas, I haven't really been able to concentrate well enough to read anything. I am slowly but surely feeling better, and I saw this book was available (inexpensively) for my Nook Tablet, so I thought what the heck.

The main character is Nina Quinn, a landscape gardener who owns her own business, Taken By Surprise. Their specialty is one-day makeovers of peoples' yards and gardens. As the book opens, Nina has just found out that her police officer husband Kevin, is having an affair with his partner, and has kicked him out of the house. Her stepson Riley (a teenage boy) is even more surly than usual, and she learns that he is involved with a gang at his high school called the Skinz, who seem to be pretty serious troublemakers.

As if that isn't enough going on, her friend Bridget (!) contacts her. Bridget's father-in-law recently died, and the family is beginning to think it was murder, because the family would not sell the family farm to a developer. Bridget asks Nina to investigate. Things get confused right away, as Bridget's husband Tim (!) tries to demand that she step away from the investigation.

Between the cheating husband, the surly stepson, and her investigation, there is plenty going on. But there's also a problem at her business, where tools have been mysteriously disappearing - so Nina is also trying to figure out which one of her employees is stealing from her. Oh, and the stepson's pet boa constrictor has escaped from its tank, and is someplace in their house!

This was a really enjoyable read. It moved along quickly, and the characters were both amusing and realistic. Nina is a pretty amusing heroine, and her friends, neighbors, and family were all interesting. I think this was just the sort of thing I needed as I was recovering, and I really want to read another book in this series to see if I still enjoy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hoe Lot of Trouble.