Lisa's Reviews > Death Comes to Pemberley

Jan 28, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: entertainments, mystery, for-book-club
Read from January 28 to February 02, 2012 — I own a copy

I can't imagine that very many fans of Austen or James are going to walk away from this one wholly satisfied. There are times where James hits on the perfect Austen pitch with piquant commentary on human foibles and manners. Yet, there are so many pitfalls for the devotee. The characterization of Darcy is well done. Elizabeth, okay. James manages to make Jane as insipid as humanly possible. The aspect that I found most disconcerting was the repetitiveness of some of the description and information. I was beginning to wonder if James was getting a bit senile, and her editor too. A mystery should progress at a fairly good clip. This one becomes bogged down by sheer clunkiness. The ending is a dead wash. There is no point for James to rehash the emotional meanderings of Darcy in Pride and Prejudice. I did enjoy how James adroitly tied in characters from other works by Austen, though these will be entirely lost on anyone who has not read those works, but they make for pleasant bon-bons for the Austen aficionado.

As for the mystery, there isn't much to say. If one is expecting detection, there is really none at all. The who is quite obvious, but the how a bit more difficult. But only a bit.

I keep trying to find a few more compliments to throw this book's way, but alas--.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Comes to Pemberley.

02/01/2012 page 250
86.0% "I am in the last 1/4. I can't imagine that very many Austen or James fans are going to come away from this very satisfied."