Lisa's Reviews > Deadlocked

Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris

May 06, 12

bookshelves: paranormal-romance-urban-fantasy
Read from May 02 to 05, 2012

While reading Deadlocked, the latest novel in the Sookie Stackhouse series, I was reminded of a quote by Stephen King from On Writing:

"If I don’t write every day, the characters begin to stale off in my mind — they begin to seem like characters instead of real people. The tale’s narrative cutting edge starts to rust and I begin to lose my hold on the story’s plot and pace. Worst of all, the excitement of spinning something new begins to fade. The work starts to feel like work, and for most writers that is the smooch of death."

This is what I imagine happened to Charlaine Harris while writing the last few books in this series. The characters have become stale, and the pacing and plot are all over the place. I don't get the sense that Harris got any enjoyment out of writing Deadlocked and I certainly didn't get much enjoyment out of reading it. The plot was almost nonexistent. I honestly don't think that Harris had enough story to fill three additional book when she signed that final book deal. As a result, this book is packed with a lot of boring filler about mundane tasks like filling out IRS tax forms and checking email. Harris also spends an entire paragraph talking about the installation of employee lockers at Merlotte's, I kid you not. The fairy storyline continues to bore me. The only positive thing I can say about the plot is that it looks like the fairies may be gone for good this time so I won't have to read about them too much in the next book, although I won't be surprised if they make an appearance.

The characters also feel like flat cardboard cutouts, completely unrecognizable from how they were at the beginning of the series. Sookie spends an extraordinary amount of time being angry and pitying herself. Harris continues to trash Eric's character in order to justify Sookie ending up with someone else (view spoiler). Even Bill, who I never liked, seems to have lost what little spark he had. He spends all of his time pining over Sookie and creepily showing up at her house randomly. Alcide continues to be unlikable, and pretty much every female character who catches the attention of one of Sookie's many love interests (both current and former) turns out to be evil in some way.

It's sad to see what has become of this once entertaining series. I will be reading the next installment but only because it's the last in the series and I hate to leave things unfinished when I'm this close to the end.
21 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadlocked.

05/02/2012
0.0% "I hope I don't regret reading this one..." 7 comments
show 3 hidden updates…

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim You made it! Congratulations, and I really liked the review..

message 2: by Lisa (last edited May 06, 2012 12:34PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa Jim wrote: "You made it! Congratulations, and I really liked the review..

How about the Doggy Determination award, in honor of the cutie in your profile pic?"

Thanks, Jim.

Haha. I'll take it. :)

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim Thanks, Lisa, and better luck next time. :)

Regina That is a great point that all of her ex's love interests are evil or crazy. Harris seems to bare a lot of herself in interviews, your quote of hers is very enlightening.

Belle Man, the whole chaper on Sookie doing housework drove me bonkers in the last one, it's disappointing that the mundane tasks continue!
So over this series. I'll finish it, but I wish it had already ended before the characters became so lame.
If Sookie doesn't end up with Eric imma hurt a book.

Lisa Regina wrote: "That is a great point that all of her ex's love interests are evil or crazy. Harris seems to bare a lot of herself in interviews, your quote of hers is very enlightening."

The quote is actually one of Stephen King's quotes but as I was reading this book I kept thinking back to it. With most books, even bad ones, I can usually feel the author's excitement coming off the page. They clearly enjoy their characters and plot even if I don't. But with this book, I didn't feel like Harris was enjoying writing it anymore than I enjoyed reading it. I just can't see how it could be at all fun to write about filling out IRS tax forms. :/

Lisa Belle wrote: "Man, the whole chaper on Sookie doing housework drove me bonkers in the last one, it's disappointing that the mundane tasks continue!
If Sookie doesn't end up with Eric imma hurt a book."

I'd forgotten about the housework chapter in the last book. Ugh. As for Eric and Sookie, (view spoiler)

Lisa Jillian -always aspiring- wrote: ""If I don’t write every day, the characters begin to stale off in my mind — they begin to seem like characters instead of real people. The tale’s narrative cutting edge starts to rust and I begin t..."

This was a really fun series in the beginning. It wasn't great literature by any stretch of the imagination but very entertaining. Honestly, I'd give up on it now if I wasn't so close to the end. I knew going into this one that there would only be two more books so it was worth it to read them just so I could know what happened and be able to say I finished the series.

And you're right, it's the readers who deserve the most sympathy when a series goes bad. I imagine Harris only agreed to the last three books for the money. It certainly wasn't because there was enough story left to tell.

Belle Lisa wrote: "Belle wrote: "Man, the whole chaper on Sookie doing housework drove me bonkers in the last one, it's disappointing that the mundane tasks continue!
So over this series. I'll finish it, but I wish i..."

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa Belle wrote: "That would make no sense. Readers are not invested in that pairing... are they?! Argh."

To my knowledge, most people are not invested in that pairing. Most people I know want Eric and Sookie together, although the way Harris has trashed his character, it's getting harder and harder to root for them.

Belle You know when you get so angry you reach a point where you just don't care anymore? That's how I'm beginning to feel about this series.