Tiffany's Reviews > A People's History of the United States: 1492-Present

Feb 14, 2013

liked it
bookshelves: history, re-education, wtfiswrongwithus
Read from January 20 to February 14, 2013

It's amazing that so many people can be so ignorant, hateful, out of touch, self-interested, and holier-than-thou so many times. And it's always disheartening/a slap in the face when the people who are supposed to be the heroes, or who we look up to, turn out to be dirty and heartless, too. I realize not everyone's perfect, but it just seems like there are (or should be) times when the answer is so OBVIOUS. Racism? Bad! Killing thousands of people? Bad! Dominating other countries? Bad! Blah blah, economic benefits. If your actions have scuzzy results -- bad!

I hit a roadblock for a while when I was reading this book--I mean, how much can you read every day about how much government sucks before you just want to beat yourself over the head with the 10-pound book?--but then I was able to get back on track. It's definitely an eye-opening book, reminding you that explorers and politicians aren't exactly the humanitarians they pretend they are; but it was sooooo much, so much information, so much depression, so much weight (both figurative and literal--it's a hefty book!).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A People's History of the United States.