Felicia's Reviews > Witches of East End

Received for Review
Overall Rating: 3.50
Character Rating: 3.75
Story Rating: 3.25

Note: I have a feeling this is going to be one of those books that get as many 1 to 2 star ratings as 4 to 5 star ratings. It is written in 3 POV's, it reads like a Women's Fiction novel (the plot is not clear until halfway through but it is a strong character story), and the leads are not always likable. These things worked for me but I don't feel they will work for everyone.

What I Loved: (This usually doesn't appeal to me)I loved that each chapter was told from the POV of the 3 witches: Joanna (mom), Freya (wildchild), and Ingrid (the bookish older sister). Getting to experience their journey back into using thier magic was interesting and refreshingly new. As each them steps further back into their magical capabilities, the insecurities they have as women become a bit more pronounced. The balance of magic and humanity issues was very touching to read. I enjoyed Joanna and Ingrid's story archs the most.

What I Liked: The mystery surrounding the things going on in the town was a nice layer to the story. Also the story involving their absent father/brother played out nicely through out the book. Even though Freya was my least favorite of the 3 witches, once her story started unfolding more she started making sense as a character. By the end, I really liked where her story was going.

Complaints: It took a bit to figure out what the point of the story was (about 60 or so pages) and how it tied into the witches power. Once the story clicked, it was wonderful from that point forward. I think for some people that will be too long though.

Why I gave it a 3.5: This was a very unique story that I think introduced 3 very strong characters that I grew attached too. I am really looking forward to the 2nd book in the series especially with the ending! I have a feeling this is a series that will get stronger with every book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witches of East End.