Sandra's Reviews > The First Men in the Moon

Feb 06, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-own, classics, fantasy, in-english, read-in-2012
Read from February 04 to 05, 2012

This is the story of two men who work together, but are actually quite unsuited to one another. Despite their differences, they end up undertaking a trip to the moon, which has a few.. unexpected outcomes.

This book was quite hilarious at times, both in the intentional and unintentional way. The fun was to be found in the writing style ("One can't always be magnificent, but simplicity is always a possible alternative.") but also in the science in the book. I'm not saying all the science described in the book is wrong, but the book was written in 1901 and.. well, we have learned a thing or two since then.

The world described on the moon captivated me at first. I liked the story of the fastgrowing plants and I was quite taken with the Mooncalves. I'm however not sure what to make of the Selenites. Their society reminded me far too much of the society described in Brave New World. I know, that book was written some 30 years later, but the negative feelings I have for this kind of society rubbed off on this book. As a result I decidedly liked the last quarter or so of this book a bit less than the rest of the book.

I'm also not sure what to make of our main characters, neither of whom seem very sympathetic to me and the fact that they don't seem to like one another is so obvious that I too started to get annoyed by their relationship.

Mostly this book is to be recommended for its original ideas (for the time), that is, if you can overlook scientific errors and annoying main characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Men in the Moon.

02/04/2012 page 101