TheGeekyBlogger's Reviews > Dead of Wynter

Received from Publisher for review
Overall Rating 3.75
Story Rating 4.00
Character Rating 3.5

QUICK THOUGHTS: Spencer Seidel is a terrific storyteller that is not afraid to take risks with his plot. This book was a dark thriller that kept you guessing till almost the very end. I pretty much thought I had it figured out about 1/3 of the way through and was completely wrong. Best kind of thriller on the market is when you can't figure out who did it!

What I Loved: Dead of Wynter was a very methodical, well paced thriller that not only had a terrific story but also enough twists and turns to truly keep you guessing. The idea of using two parallel time lines was brilliant. Every time you were sure where the story was heading,Spencer Seidel would send you in another direction. None of the plot turns felt forced as they complimented what was happening in the adjoining time line.

What I Liked: The 1984 plot was a great glimpse into who these characters were and how they became who they are today. I really enjoyed (though that might be the wrong word) watching the thoughts, actions, reactions, and character building that went on during this part of the storyline. Of course, this is also what made me believe I had it all figured out but alas I was wrong. Great Job Spencer Seidel!

Complaints: Other than Michael, I didn't really "connect" with any of the characters. This did not distract from the story to much, since in a thriller, to me, it is more important to have a strong story/plot/case than character connections.

Why I gave it a 3.75: This was a fantastic debut novel from someone who I think will be a strong voice in the thriller community for years to come. I would have liked to feel a little stronger pull to the core characters but still a very strong debut! I will be reading Spencer Seidel in the years to come.

Who I would recommend it too: Mystery/Thriller readers who like the darker material. This is not for the faint hearted!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead of Wynter.

05/03/2011 page 55