Larisa's Reviews > A Bed Of Spices

A Bed Of Spices by Barbara Samuel

Feb 04, 2012

bookshelves: own, rhfl-2012-period-diversity-challeng
Read from January 29 to February 03, 2012

Romances set in the Middle Ages aren't my preferred RHF reading era...the severe restrictions on behavior, the excessive concern for piety and sin, women usually being illiterate usually add up to "no, thank you," save a few notable exceptions.

Bed of Spices is one of those beautiful, poignant, lush, divine exceptions. The heroine is plausible for her era, with a believable reason for being literate, independent and strong, while still dutiful, thoughtful and young. The shifting POV between her, the hero and a select few secondary characters is smooth, never muddled. The details of daily life are vibrant enough for the reader to be present in the moment with characters.

And the passion. This book smolders, smokes and finally bursts into flames, without being erotica. Illustrating they are deeply in love, not young lust. The hero and heroine both suffer through trials, fight their forbidden love, remain true to their faith while growing closer with each page.

I wish Barbara Samuel would return to writing historicals. This is a stunning, delicious piece of work. When someone asks me for a shining example of the genre, a book that will create a life long addiction to reading romance novels, this is one of the books I'll shoving in their hands while jumping up & down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Bed Of Spices.