Chris's Reviews > The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor

The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman

Jan 29, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, horror

Does The Rise of the Governor work as a standalone novel, if readers have not read or experienced any of The Walking Dead comic series? By and large, I would have to say yes it does. A prequel of sorts to the comic, giving broadening out and giving some depth to one of the comic's most sadistic villains, Rise is a so-so zombie novel.

The author(s) do a nice job of juggling the cast and the settings. The characters are a bit bland, but good work was done in fleshing out the Philip character; he does some reprehensible things, but there are places where his point of view is so thoroughly explained, his actions make a perverse kind of sense. The authors also keep switching verb tenses from present to past, a choice which, for me, set up a nicely unbalanced perspective in my reading.

Does The Rise of the Governor work as a Walking Dead novel? I thought so and I'm a monthly reader of the comic. I can see some fans being put off by the big twist toward the end of the book. I admit, it comes out of left field, but it doesn't contradict any of the world building the authors have already done.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walking Dead.