Sarah W's Reviews > Dinosaur Mardi Gras

Dinosaur Mardi Gras by Dianne de Las Casas

Jan 28, 2012

bookshelves: picture-book, dinosaurs, 2012, holiday
Read in January, 2012

This entertaining picture book by Dianne de Las Casas had my foot tapping along with the beat. I simply had to read it aloud on my first time through it. Children love dinosaur stories and in this book they'll get a taste of Mardi Gras down in New Orleans thrown in with these giant reptiles.

Each two page spread brings a boisterous refrain readers will love to chant and act out: "Dinosaur Mardi Gras, Chomp! Chomp! Dinosaur Mardi Gras, Stomp Stomp! Marita Gentry's playful illustrations bring the celebratory parade of dinosaurs to life as they travel city streets on the parade route. These are dinosaurs people would want to see coming down the street!

At the end of the story is a 'Parade of Words' explaining the sights and sounds of the parade as well as Mardi Gras and the culture of New Orleans. at the very end is a craft project idea for shoe box floats. This title was inspired by a shoe box float her nephew made.

Pairing this book with Balloons over Broadway could make some great connections for kids and it'd be exciting to see what they would come up with for a parade.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dinosaur Mardi Gras.