Miss's Reviews > Liar's Moon

Liar's Moon by Elizabeth C. Bunce

F 50x66
Jan 28, 12

Read in January, 2012

I found out about halfway through reading this that the third book in this series wouldn't be published because Starcrossed didn't sell well enough. I was offended because are you kidding me? These books are great! House of Night is ongoing with eleven books and Elizabeth C. Bunce can't get a third book when Thief’s Errant has both engaging characters and plot?

Photobucket

As I got closer to the end I thought maybe I could be okay with it? Maybe Bunce knew ahead of time she wouldn't get to publish the third book; everything seemed to be winding down into a fairly happy resolved place. And then I got to the last page.

Photobucket

I DON'T KNOW WHY I LET HER LULL ME INTO A FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY. How did I not get wise from all the earlier plot twists? I'm normally pretty good at anticipating plot developments in my YA but I guess I forgot my thinking cap in the wash. I didn't manage to work out any of the developments before Digger did. Even when I knew one of her suspects couldn't be the murderer because there was too much of the book left I still had no idea who the actual culprit could be.

It occurs to me these comments would mean more if I actually mentioned what the book's about. Okay then! The book kicks off with Digger back home in Gerse where she's picked up by Watchmen and tossed into prison. She finds she's sharing a cell with Durrel Decath, who you may remember from the first book. The noble who helped her get gone when the Greenmen were after her. Nice guy. Accused of murdering his wife. Digger's pretty sure he can't be guilty so she sets out to find out who is to spare him execution.

Much of the same strengths as the first book. Digger's a great character: clever and creative and fundamentally a good person. Strategic references to the events of Starcrossed make it work fine as a standalone which is nice as I remembered very few of the details. The further I got in the more I recalled though so I was glad to get some updates on Merista and Weirolf and all the rest. New characters are integrated in well, by the end of the book I quite liked Koya and was varying degrees of invested in everyone else. I felt satisfied with the amount of screen time everyone got, Bunce had a good handle on what/who was interesting enough to merit further development. 4 stars for the book, -2 to the publisher for cancelling Sunwise. >( Maybe she'll publish it independently online. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
34 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Liar's Moon.

Fred Dickson Why did you have to draw me into this review with the Winchesters?! I would have been happier oblivious to the fact that I may never read the third book.

Miss Fred wrote: "Why did you have to draw me into this review with the Winchesters?! I would have been happier oblivious to the fact that I may never read the third book."

I couldn't deny Sam and Dean the chance to express their feelings about this injustice. It just wouldn't have been right.

message 3: by Cece (new)

Cece Seriously?!! Awww! And I had just gotten these two books from the library. I was really looking forward to reading them =( I'd still read them anyways since but waiting on books to be released brings out my inner crazy, and since this would be an infinite wait...

message 4: by Spacklefritz (last edited Mar 18, 2012 08:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Spacklefritz wait, you're serious? Why no third book? This series is amazing. I know you're just the messenger...but whyy?? They can't not have a third book. Have the powers that be realised that, helloo??? book ended on a cliffy and has so much more to tell?!

excuse my minor rant please, I just found out about it and am very shocked.

Terri I did not know that there wasn't going to be a third book. There should be a law against leaving a series unfinished. Can we send $ to Ms Bunce to get this 3rd book going or what? :(

message 6: by Nafiza (new) - added it

Nafiza Maybe you could sign the petition and get the publishers to reconsider it? It was actually your review that made me realize that the third book was not, as I had previously thought, forthcoming. So I went and made up a petition. If enough of us scream, maybe someone will take notice? Anyway, link: http://twitition.com/yvehg

message 7: by Teatree (last edited Jul 19, 2012 01:12PM) (new)

Teatree I am so tired of publishers doing this! I don`t read most series until I have the complete and finished series on my shelf and this is why.They should be obligated to let an author finish the story.I mean COME ON ! you wouldn`t buy a movie that had no ending,so how can they do this to us with books.

Olivia I agree with everything written above. This series has everything I love, and leaves out everything I don't. It's perfect for me, and my friend, and everyone who has read it. Why can't we finish?

message 9: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Sad ... I'm about 1/3 into the second book now, and really I have no desire to finish it now because I don't want all the cliffhangers forever with no end in sight. :(

message 10: by Tabi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tabi Card Wait, they cancelled the third book???? What???? But the second book ends sooo hanging, and with so many questions. Like Tegen....HE'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!! I NEED TO KNOW HOW AND WHY!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously...that publisher didn't know what they were doing by cancelling the SEQUEL to a book...and especially a book that ends the way this one did.
Ugh. Just ugh. -_- They better realize their mistake soon.

Cathy I too would love to see the third book published. Is there a way to influence the publisher? This has been a well written series and is worth our attention.

Raudza omg what?!?! the third book are not going.to be released?!?! (world crashing down) how could they say this book aren't worthy to have.a 3rd book. sure the progress of the book are rather slow but its worth it once people have finish reading it. I'm going to cry at the corner now T.T

Jadeja Baptiste Is the author crazy? Not making a third book?! The books are good! And she left me on a cliffhanger. You do NOT leave people on a cliffhanger and not write a third book!!!!!

message 15: by Terri (last edited Mar 11, 2015 09:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terri Meg wrote: "http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/he..."

SIGNED! Thanks for the link. I hope we get our third book.