Trisha's Reviews > Girl, Interrupted

Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen

Jan 30, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction, memoir
Read from January 28 to 30, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

This was a quick and easy read, and also a thought-provoking one. I think that something I learned from this read is that I have a touch of "craziness" about me. Don't worry, I'm not going to end up in a psych ward (at least, I don't think I am...) but some of the moments Susanna Kaysen described in this memoir were moments I could relate to. Overthinking things, concentrating too hard on patterns on the floor or whatever. The other day I found myself trying not to walk on the painted white lines in a carpark while I was heading to my car.

Reading this book made me quite thankful I wasn't a teenager at the time Kaysen was. A quote that really spoke to me was the one where Kaysen was discussing the definition of "borderline personality disorder", and quoting some of that definition, then commenting on it:

'"[I]nstability of self-image, interpersonal relationships, and mood ... uncertainty about ... long-term goals or career choice ..." Isn't this a good description of adolescence? Moody, fickle, faddish, insecure: in short, impossible.'

Anyway...reading this book made me want to see the film again!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl, Interrupted.