Tanja Berg's Reviews > Lilla stjärna

Lilla stjärna by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Jan 29, 12

Read from January 28 to 29, 2012

I usually review books in the same language I read them in, but I'll make an expection here. This book sat on my shelf for more than a year. I bought it immediately upon publication, but after having read a review that totally slaughtered it, I was sceptical. I make a point of staying clear of bad books. Yes, this is a bad book, it is a terrible book and I LOVED it. The writing is fluid, words ran like water through my fingers. The story is captivating and catapulted me back into my teenage years. There was no point denying my dark side reading this book - if I had tried to, this book would have been painful and I would have hated it for the truth it stated about me. As it was, I felt the hunger and the claws. My claws.

The story is that of Theres. She is found in the forest as an infant, in a plastic bag - left for dead - by mushroom hunting Lennart. He brings her home and hides her in his cellar. Theres is exceptionally musically gifted from the very beginning. However, her upbringing is detrimental, accentuating her troubled soul. She lacks a sense of morality, probably because she has no empathy, which in turn probably is a result of a lack of fantasy. There are some strong autistic elements about her.

The other main person in this story is Teresa. She is the same age as Theres and grows up in a normal family, fat and bullied. She comes in touch with Theres and together they make music. Teresa writes and Theres sings and their work carries through myspace and youtube into the hearts of other troubled young girls.

It is almost inconceivable that a man could have captured teenage girl angst as well as this author does. I didn't think anyone with a Y chromosome would have imagination enough to write something like this. John Ajvide Lindqvist is a horror writer and this is not perhaps a book you would expect from him. There is no supernatural or paranormal evil at all. It is just the "normal" human evil, which all of us carry, veiled and hidden in our hearts. Although not as thinly veiled as in these girls. The world has treated them badly and revenge is sweet. So sweet.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lilla stjärna.

01/28/2012 "This has been sitting on my shelf unread for more than a year. Not that it's any sort of record."
22.0% "Better than expected so far."
46.0% "I'm really enjoying this book. I didn't think I would, after having read some really terrible reviews shortly after its publishing (and after I had acquired it)."
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Brooke (new) - added it

Brooke You just had to let everyone know you read other languages. Obnoxious much?