Kruti's Reviews > Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

Jan 28, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: they-really-do-publish-anything, hate-is-not-a-strong-enough-word, rewritten-fanfiction, adult, reviewed, why-the-hype, a-z-challenge-2012, trade-for-a-subway-sandwich, shred-and-make-paper-garlands, didnt-like
Recommended for: No one
Read from April 14 to 17, 2012 , read count: 1 - Frankly, it's more than enough!

In the words of Miss Steele, "You need to sort your shit out, Grey!" Good day, sir!

description

Fifty Shades of Grey, more like Fifty shades of fucked up nonsense *rolls eyes* I should get a medal for just finishing this tripe.

I honestly do NOT feel like revisiting this book and writing a review. I’d rather spend the time searching for ways to remove this utter nonsense from my memory. However, this book is so bad that I feel the need to warn others from this drivel. Luckily, I did not buy this garbage. I do not even know what overcame me to read it and I can only blame a momentary lack of judgment on my part.

What baffles me is the scary fangirlgasm following this book. So what’s causing it a hit? I can only come up with ‘twilight’. Doing some research, this book was originally posted online as a twilight fanfic! Yes, a twilight fanfic. The fact that this book’s source material isn’t a good piece of literature just shows what you should expect from this book. And dubbing it a twilight fanfic and promoting it as such is no doubt raising the bar on the sale figures. What has the world come to? *headdesk* Whatever’s causing its success; I can safely say it can’t be the book itself.

Everything you could possibly imagine is wrong with this book! The execution and the characters. And the writing. And the plot (wait, was there one?!?)

Firstly, it has been said a countless number of times how abusive Bella and Edward’s relationship was. And it is arguably the most anti-feminist portrayal of any relationship. FSoG simply continues this unhealthy view and promotes an even more abusive and degrading relationship towards women, targeting older women (and possibly even teenage girls who know no better). Oh dear god, I hope teenage girls do not jump on this disturbing bandwagon.

Surely, it is degrading to ask a woman to sign a contract where ‘she is now the property of the Dominant, to be dealt with as the Dominant pleases’ and ‘submitting [herself] to any sexual activity demanded by the Dominant…without hesitation or argument’ – especially when you take into consideration the fact that she would be signing up to something she has not yet experienced and knows little about as she is still a virgin. This is not something that should be promoted as desirable or idealistic. This book cheapens what feminists have fought for years! Don’t get me wrong I wouldn't deprive women of their right to express themselves sexually, nor to act upon their desires but I shudder at the thought of women aspiring to a relationship where she will take part in various things that she is not comfortable with and at times, even when she’s genuinely in fear of taking part, simply because she finds the guy ‘hot’.

description

The plot - I’m not even sure if there was one. 50% of the book is spent talking about sex/the contract and the other 50% is made up of clumsily written sex scenes. (view spoiler)

The writing is dull and unimaginative. It reads more like a diary – he did this, I did this. The constant repetitions are enough to make someone suicidal! I hope I never have to see the words, ‘my subconscious’ and ‘my inner goddess’ ever again or so help me god! The sex scenes were terrible and frankly a little disturbing to put down on paper – an incident with the tampon springs to mind.

The characters are simply absurd in this book.

AnaBella SteeleSwan Anastasia Steele irked me quite a lot and reading this book from her point of view was no picnic in the park. Finding out that she is 21 years old was a shock – she reads like a dim-witted 12 year old, who’s vocabulary doesn’t extend further from ‘jeez’, ‘oh crap’, ‘damn’, ‘oh my’, ‘holy cow’ and even the constant reference to her vagina as ‘down there’. I found nothing remotely interesting about her. She has most of Bella’s traits and then some – she’s boring, clumsy and downright bitter, even towards her best friend, Kate. The only other word I can use to describe her is a ‘scrounger’ – can’t she afford her own clothes?

She’s too gullible and a hypocrite. She’s weak-willed and succumbs so easily for my liking. And I’m pretty sure she suffers from some form of mental disorder – schizophrenia perhaps? She constantly refers to what she calls her ‘inner goddess’ and her ‘subconscious’, who either cheer her on when there’s an opportunity for sex or take opportunities to call her a ‘dirty hoe’!

(view spoiler)Kill me now!

I swear Kate was a much more interesting character and would have made a better female lead, but like the other few characters she was mentioned only for the sake of a story. A real shame.

Christian Grey…where do I begin?
______________________________________________
From: Kruti
Subject: Your issues
Date: April 18 2011 23:15
To: Christian Grey

Dear Mr Grey,

You sir, are a pompous asshole! And frankly, you are in need of much help. Perhaps, I can direct you to the nearest mental hospital? Or better yet, accompany you to the nearest police station? It's the least I can do.

In response to your email, I think you have that the wrong way around, sir. It is I who would like to hurt you til you’re fifty shades of red!

Laters, baby.
Kruti

On Apr 18, 2012 at 23:00 PM, Christian Grey (christiangrey@ihaveissues.com) wrote:

"I want to hurt you. But not beyond anything you couldn't take."

Christian Grey
CEO, Grey Enterprises Holdings Inc.

_____________________________________________

There are simply so many things wrong with his character that I don’t even know where to begin. What’s unacceptable is how his upbringing is used as an excuse to cover up his abusive tendencies. NO!! That does not give him the right to exert control over her and abuse her. Ana constantly tells him how uncomfortable and afraid she is with what he wants and all he can say is 'That’s a Dom/sub thing. You’ll get used to it.'. Hell NO! That's not BDSM.

Okay children, let's explore the definition of BDSM:
"form of personal relationship involving the consensual use
of restraint.."
Consensual being the key word! Don't tell me we have two consenting adults here. No, Ana is just a child trapped in a woman's body. She has no true idea of what this lifestyle entails and is at most times in fear.

If you're still not convinced about how unhealthy this relationship was, this probably will convince you. To ensure he gets her to do what he wants, he manipulates her with promises of a relationship if she is willing to try his way of lifestyle. And, Ana being the fool she is lets him beat her thinking 'Oh my, holy cow he's hot' and 'It’s what he wants...after all he’s done, I have to man up and take whatever he decides he wants, whatever he thinks he needs'. So in her mind, his need to control her and beat her is a form of therapy? No! That's not BDSM either.

I have absolutely nothing more to add. I'm taking my inner goddess elsewhere and grabbing a good book.

Extras: Honestly this is what I imagined Christian to be like. If you have a facebook account, you should definitely visit this link.

Click here for my review of Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades, #2).

04/14/2012
5.0% "WTF have I got myself into? She's met the guy twice and her thoughts - he's an arrogant prick and he's hot. Now, she's in love with him. Seriously?!?" 1 comment
04/15/2012
5.0% "'I hug myself with quiet glee, rocking from side to side, entertaining the possibility that he might like me..' - That's just pathetic and I'm losing brain cells reading this tripe" 3 comments
04/15/2012 page 39
10.0% ""[I] mentally pat myself on the back for my candor" - sad really that you need to reassure yourself constantly but still have a cookie *passes cookie over*"
04/17/2012 page 242
62.0% ""My subconscious is figuratively tutting and glaring at me over her half moon specs..My subconscious explains, sneers at me, is staring at me, rolls her eyes at me, has doubled over in laughter at me, swoons and passes out somewhere in the back of my head, glares at me, wagging her long skinny finger, taps me hard on the shoulder, runs, screaming, and hides behind the couch.." - now I have a migraine!" 4 comments
04/17/2012 page 243
62.0% "The torture does not stop!
My inner goddess is doing the merengue with some salsa moves, is doing back flips in a routine worthy of a Russian Olympic gymnast, is standing on the podium awaiting her gold medal, has back flipped off the podium and is doing cartwheels around the stadium, bounces up and down like a small child waiting for ice cream, looks like someone snatched her ice cream, [she] is not pleased" 3 comments
04/17/2012 page 243
62.0% ""Go girl! My inner goddess has her pom poms in hand - she’s in cheerleading mode"

description"

Comments (showing 100-149)

Mel (who is deeply in love with herself) Review, review, review!

message 148: by Kruti (last edited Apr 17, 2012 10:23AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Kruti Mel (who is deeply in love with herself) wrote: "Review, review, review!"

Ofcourse, once I've recovered. But first, I need a large dose of chocolate :)

Mel (who is deeply in love with herself) Oh, you mean like this?

Or maybe like this?

Is that enough for you?

message 146: by Pragya (new) - added it

Pragya Mel (who is deeply in love with herself) wrote: "Oh, you mean like this?

Or maybe like this?

Is that enough for you?"

Ooh, I feel like eating that all by myself. But Kruti needs it more. Since she actually finished that book. I couldn't.

Mel (who is deeply in love with herself) Plenty for everyone. :D

I think anybody who has even heard of this book is automatically entitled to guilt-free chocolate binge-ing.

message 144: by Kruti (new) - rated it 1 star

Kruti Ohh wow!! *drools* I'll take both XD

Mel (who is deeply in love with herself) Kruti wrote: "Ohh wow!! *drools* I'll take both XD"

They're not free!
You must now post your review TWICE as fast. Deal?

message 142: by Kruti (last edited May 10, 2012 04:23AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Kruti Mel (who is deeply in love with herself) wrote: "Kruti wrote: "Ohh wow!! *drools* I'll take both XD"

They're not free!
You must now post your review TWICE as fast. Deal?"

:( you drive a hard bargain, Mel but ok. *starts typing away*

message 141: by Elise (new) - rated it 1 star

Elise I'm so jealous you finished this. I want to be done sooo bad. ahah

message 140: by Kruti (new) - rated it 1 star

Kruti Elise wrote: "I'm so jealous you finished this. I want to be done sooo bad. ahah"

Ahh I feel for you. If you do manage to finish it, I'll be nice and share those delicious cakes up there. Hell, I'll share them anyway. Sugar and lots of sugar is the only cure after coming across this book.

Mel (who is deeply in love with herself) "It is I who would like to hurt you til you’re fifty shades of red!"

Such an awesome line! *high-five*

And I am SO glad I bribed encouraged you with those cakes. This review was worth the wait.

(Also, Mr Grey's email address? WIN.)

To thank you for your awesomeness, I shall, whithout further ado, present a little ol' gift to you...
Can you guess what it'll be?

You got it!

Enjoy. ;)

message 138: by Tom (new)

Tom I got this and started reading reviews from people I follow on here and was like "I don't really feel like reading about some AHOLE" Abusive relationships is not what I feel like escaping to.

message 137: by Demo (new) - rated it 1 star

Demo Holy shit, Take This Lollipop creeped the hell out of me.

message 136: by Kruti (new) - rated it 1 star

Kruti Mel (who is deeply in love with herself) wrote: ""It is I who would like to hurt you til you’re fifty shades of red!"

Such an awesome line! *high-five*

..."

Oh Mel, you made my day. I am very happy now. Those cakes are just divine to look at. They must be equally wonderful to taste. Did you make them?

message 135: by Kruti (new) - rated it 1 star

Kruti Tom wrote: "I got this and started reading reviews from people I follow on here and was like "I don't really feel like reading about some AHOLE" Abusive relationships is not what I feel like escaping to."

Hi Tom, I know! Abusive relationships is where i have to draw the line. What's worrying is that books that promote abusive relationships are published en masse and will be made into a movies too. This type of book is not something you would want people (especially young minds) to be gushing over and wishing they had.

message 134: by Kruti (new) - rated it 1 star

Kruti Demo wrote: "Holy shit, Take This Lollipop creeped the hell out of me."

Hi Demo, I was freaked out by it too. Didn't help the fact that I had my lights off when I was watching it. Seriously creepy.

message 133: by Demo (new) - rated it 1 star

Demo The thing is, half the things it showed him looking for aren't on my profile, so it showed him looking at a blank screen. It was kind of funny.

message 132: by rameau (new) - added it

rameau It always warms my heart to read one of these reviews. I'm sorry you had to go through that pain, but it wasn't in vain.

P.S. Cupcakes! Excuse me, I need to fetch my drool bucket now.

message 131: by Kruti (new) - rated it 1 star

Kruti rameau wrote: "It always warms my heart to read one of these reviews. I'm sorry you had to go through that pain, but it wasn't in vain.

P.S. Cupcakes! Excuse me, I need to fetch my drool bucket now."

Haha, you can borrow my bucket :D. Cupcakes were a great motivation and allowed me to finish this rant review. I feel much MUCH better now. Though I'm a bit disheartened and wary of picking another book. Well, it's got to be done. It's the only way I can bleach this from my memory.

message 130: by Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) (last edited Apr 19, 2012 11:39PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) *like* *like* *like* *like* *like* *like* *like* *like* *like* *like* *like* *like* *like*

If you makes you feel better it is not a book.

I feel like Joey in that episode of Friends where he keeps saying, "IT'S NOT A CAT!" the entire episode.

Because every time people call this a book I immediately go, "IT'S NOT A BOOK!"

message 129: by Louise (new) - rated it 1 star

Louise Lol hilarious; I can't believe this novel was a fanfic of twilight. I'm glad I came across this review, otherwise I probably would have wound up bying the tripe. The blurb did sound good though; the covers so pretty do.

message 128: by Beate (new)

Beate With how criminals are rewarded and the honest are punished these days, it's beyond refreshing to see that more people don't let themselves get duped by this horrible drivel that promotes abuse and rape. Thank you for the giggles. :)

And if I could, I'd send you some chocolate/coffee cupcakes I made the other day. ;)

message 127: by Kruti (new) - rated it 1 star

Kruti Alicia wrote: "*like* *like* *like* *like* *like* *like* *like* *like* *like* *like* *like* *like* *like*

If you makes you feel better it is not a book.

I feel like Joey in that episode of Friends where he keep..."

Hahaha, YES I know exactly what you mean. I have to constantly chant a mantra 'IT'S NOT A BOOK but a middle-aged woman's disturbing fantasy!'. What has the world come to?

By the way, I loved your review of this. If anyone does feel the urge to read this umm story, I shall redirect them to your review. You've summarized it so well and had me in stitches. I'm still laughing even now XD. I have to agree with you. It still reads so much like a fanfic. I guess they were in too much of a hurry to milk the cash cow. Can't believe this will be turned into a move. Seriously?!?

Jumping-off point but I miss friends. Joey and Chandler especially :(

message 126: by Kruti (new) - rated it 1 star

Kruti Louise wrote: "Lol hilarious; I can't believe this novel was a fanfic of twilight. I'm glad I came across this review, otherwise I probably would have wound up bying the tripe. The blurb did sound good though; th..."

Ahh Louise, I would steer clear of this if you value your sanity. But if you really feel the need to read it, I would direct you to Alicia's review. She has summarized this whole story in less than a 100 words. Also, if you really want you could just google 'Master of Universe' and read that. FSoG and MoU are virtually identical.

message 125: by Kruti (new) - rated it 1 star

Kruti Beate wrote: "With how criminals are rewarded and the honest are punished these days, it's beyond refreshing to see that more people don't let themselves get duped by this horrible drivel that promotes abuse and..."

Hi Beate, the world is truly an unfair place. Can you believe after writing this the author is now the
100 most influential people in the world according to Time? The only way I can see her being influential is in changing the world for the worse. I have half a mind to start sticking labels in my local bookstore - Warning: this is a twilight fanfic and promotes abusive and degrading relationships towards women.

Though it would probably have the opposite effect and sell more books. (Oooooh, more Twilight?!? *squeals* 'Edward's mine, no he's mine') FML.

Oh, did someone mention cupcakes? 'Where? WHERE?!? :D

message 124: by Beate (new)

Beate Kruti wrote: "Beate wrote: "With how criminals are rewarded and the honest are punished these days, it's beyond refreshing to see that more people don't let themselves get duped by this horrible drivel that prom..."

Sadly, with the Twilight stamp on it, it only serves to attract more people. They don't seem to be able to understand that Bella was a self-sentered, self-absorbed, brat who only wanted Edward because he was the one person to say 'no' to her. That he was abusive and creepy to boot doesn't seem to matter, because Oh Em Gee it's Edward!

message 123: by Louise (new) - rated it 1 star

Louise Kruti wrote: "Louise wrote: "Lol hilarious; I can't believe this novel was a fanfic of twilight. I'm glad I came across this review, otherwise I probably would have wound up bying the tripe. The blurb did sound ..."

good, I'll definitely stay clear from it; it was tempting to read it though, that was only because of the cover and the fact that Big W was selling it for $9. 90

message 122: by Kruti (new) - rated it 1 star

Kruti Beate wrote: "Kruti wrote: "Beate wrote: "With how criminals are rewarded and the honest are punished these days, it's beyond refreshing to see that more people don't let themselves get duped by this horrible dr..."

Urgh Bella annoyed me. For someone who's depicted as being a strong, independent child who spent her childhood looking after her mother and now her father, she really does let Edward dictate to her. And Edward, well, I made up my mind about him the moment he was thinking about bringing an oilcan with him the next time he was going to stalk Bella so her windows don't creak.

message 121: by Beate (new)

Beate Kruti wrote: "Beate wrote: "Kruti wrote: "Beate wrote: "With how criminals are rewarded and the honest are punished these days, it's beyond refreshing to see that more people don't let themselves get duped by th..."

Being the motherfigure to your own mom, then cooking and cleaning for your dad doesn't a strong character make. If she were strong, she would have chosen Jacob who really did love her over rich-bitch Edward who was sickly obsessed with her.

Yes. So many issues.... :D

message 120: by Missy (new)

Missy LaRae I have a ton of ladies I know who have read this book and totally love it. I don't understand it AT ALL.

NEVER will I pick it up.

Thanks for the review. The gif at the top was hilarious and totally appropriate. The chocolate cake made me hungry.

message 119: by Kruti (new) - rated it 1 star

Kruti Missy wrote: "I have a ton of ladies I know who have read this book and totally love it. I don't understand it AT ALL.

NEVER will I pick it up.

Thanks for the review. The gif at the top was hilarious and tot..."

Hi Missy, I don't understand it either. Most of the people I follow have given it 5 stars too and the only reason they have come up with is that how much they love Christian. Surely, this is not the type of relationship people should wish they had.

Haha no problem. Glad, I could provide some amusement. Ahh the cakes make me hungry too :)

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) Kruti wrote: "Alicia wrote: "*like* *like* *like* *like* *like* *like* *like* *like* *like* *like* *like* *like* *like*

If you makes you feel better it is not a book.

I feel like Joey in that episode of Friend..."

The world has gone insane, that's what.

I'm glad you like my review. Yeah, neither TWCS or Random House bothered to do much editing before "publishing." So disgusting. I have so much rage about all of this.

Haha, I miss friends, too. I also love that there's a Friends gif or photoset for every occasion.

message 117: by carol (new) - added it

carol It all boils down to the individual's choice and what each person does or does not want...plain and simple.

message 116: by Kristen (new) - rated it 1 star

Kristen Nace Haven't read the book yet, and now I don't think I will. Loved this review. I needed a good laugh today.

message 115: by Sarai (new)

Sarai This review has completely terrified me.

message 114: by carol (last edited Apr 26, 2012 12:45PM) (new) - added it

carol Sarai wrote: "This review has completely terrified me."

Sarai why may I ask?
It's a book or series of stories that some loathe and don't seem to understand and others adore but do they understand & if they don't no problem:)

message 113: by rameau (new) - added it

rameau Carol wrote: "Sarai wrote: "It's a book or series of stories that some loathe and don't seem to understand and others adore but do they understand & if they do no problem:)"

Why are you implying that people who didn't like the book (or the practically identical fanfic) didn't understand the book? That there's something wrong with their comprehension skills?

Turn it around and see if you'd still say it: People who didn't understand this book enjoyed it. Is it still something you'd say. If not, please don't insult those who didn't like it by saying they didn't understand it.

Sarai, I have my own negative views on FSoG/Motu but I won't force them on you. Don't let one review, one passionate opinion, to scare you. Fear isn't helpful for informed decision making. Read other opinions and then decide whatever that may be. And if you do decide to read the story, please consider finding a residual copy of fanfiction free online instead of paying 10$ a book.

message 112: by carol (new) - added it

carol rameau wrote: "Carol wrote: "Sarai wrote: "It's a book or series of stories that some loathe and don't seem to understand and others adore but do they understand & if they do no problem:)"

Why are you implying t..."

message 111: by rameau (new) - added it

rameau Carol wrote: "Rameu you misunderstood my meaning which was whether you read and like or read and don't like...no problem. Some will love it and some will hate it. Neither does something matter if it's fanfic or not...so what. The important thing is what you as an individual like or not. Not what anyone else says about it or thinks about it. I have the series. It's for me to read if I wish and enjoy or not enjoy. You shouldn't need to get worried or so upset as Sarai seemed. Does that make it clearer Rameu? "

To be honest, it doesn't. Now you're saying that everyone gets to decide for themselves if they like it or not, which I agree with. And I agree that reading one review shouldn't cause the kind distress Sarai expressed. What I don't agree with is what your previous comment, intentionally or not, implied: That not liking this book meant not understanding it.

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) rameau wrote: "...please consider finding a residual copy of fanfiction free online instead of paying 10$ for not a book."

Fixed that for you.

message 109: by carol (new) - added it

carol rameau wrote: "Carol wrote: "Rameu you misunderstood my meaning which was whether you read and like or read and don't like...no problem. Some will love it and some will hate it. Neither does something matter if i..."

message 108: by rameau (new) - added it

rameau Carol wrote: "What I tried to say but not carefully or clearly for which I apologize, but will try...some people will read and it will have one lot of meaning or understanding to one person but it will have another meaning or understanding for another. Some people would abhor a D/s or Master/slave experience or 24/7 lifestyle whilst others would adore it. One isn't wrong and one isn't right. It is up to each as an individual to learn, then decide what is for them. This goes for any relationship or any practicing or non practicing type of sexual life too.
I hope I have made my view clearer. I was worried at Sarai being so upset. Whether it was because this book is one she loves or hates it is up to her and not be upset what others say and think. "

Honestly, your clarifications only make it more confusing. If you say that you didn't intend to insult everyone who didn't like this book and call their general understanding into question, then I believe you and accept your apology.

As for the rest, I'm going to leave it be or we'll end up talking and commenting circles around each other.

Alicia wrote: "rameau wrote: "...please consider finding a residual copy of fanfiction free online instead of paying 10$ for not a book."

Fixed that for you."

Aww, thanks. Also I forgot the "the from in front of the word fanfiction.

message 107: by [deleted user] (new)

message 106: by Missy (new)

Missy LaRae Idunsses wrote: "Have you seen Ellen Degeneres's take on this? It's hilarious http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on3JCw... =D"

thanks for this. rofl

message 105: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Brown Great review! I should have read these prior to subjecting myself to this horrific piece of garbage.

message 104: by Kruti (new) - rated it 1 star

Kruti Kimberly wrote: "Great review! I should have read these prior to subjecting myself to this horrific piece of garbage."

Hi Kimberly, thanks :) I know what you mean, I wish I could turn back time and slap myself before picking up this lol.

message 103: by Giuliana♡ (new)

Giuliana♡ You, madame, have written a lovely review! I seldom read simply because I've never had much reason to but yours made me laugh and giggle and never want to even pick up that book, if I may be so bold as to actually call it that. Thank you! xx

message 102: by Kruti (new) - rated it 1 star

Kruti Giuliana♡ wrote: "You, madame, have written a lovely review! I seldom read simply because I've never had much reason to but yours made me laugh and giggle and never want to even pick up that book, if I may be so bol..."

Thanks Giuliana :) I'm glad it made you laugh. I wrote it straight after finishing this...this nonsense* and I just needed a way to vent my frustration. I'm happy that I can save you from this torture, I really wouldn't wish it upon anyone. Also, it's 'not' a book. We have established that much :). It's just a horrific piece of [insert a derogatory term here]* to befall the world of literature.

* - it's taking all my restraint from not swearing here lol.

message 101: by Merary (new) - rated it 1 star

Merary HOLY SHIT!! I clicked the link!!
I'd never been so scared, disturbed, and excited at the same time. XDD T_T

message 100: by Kruti (new) - rated it 1 star

Kruti Merary wrote: "HOLY SHIT!! I clicked the link!!
I'd never been so scared, disturbed, and excited at the same time. XDD T_T"

I know, right? I freaked out the first time I clicked it too, especially when my photos started to appear :O

« previous 1 3