Norah's Reviews > Polgara the Sorceress

Polgara the Sorceress by David Eddings

Apr 22, 12

Read from February 25 to April 22, 2012

I have to admit; I'm a sucker for nice endings. I considered giving this book a four star rating even as I was halfway through it. But the final chapters completely changed my opinion of things.

The reason for my initial opinion was that I've never been too fond of Polgara. Her attitude in general has always bothered me. And I especially disproved of her communication with her father. Except for when Asrana passed away, I only got teary-eyed at the end when Polgara finally realizes that in "actuality" she loves her father.

I don't agree with Ce'Nedra and Polgara when they criticize Belgarath's story. I truly enjoyed that book, and from his perspective he's got it all covered.

It's true that Polgara too though, has been through a lot... she has lived a completely different life from her father, and my opinion of her started changing when I realized what she "actually" went through. Her responsibility, stretching out over thousands of years, consuming her life... her losses, her own needs... things most of us take for granted but were unachievable for a very long time in her life... We all deal with our past in our own ways, whatever keeps us going. And for her, I guess, her personality was of great help. So I can understand now why she is the way she is.

All in all, whoever enjoyed The Belgariad and The Malloreon would be a fool not to read this book and its precedent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Polgara the Sorceress.

02/25/2012 page 6
1.0% "After the fast pace of the previous book I read, I feel reluctant to read this one. I guessed I might feel this way, but sigh... I thought it's better I read this now than wait and forget what I read in "Belgarath the Sorcerer"." 10 comments
04/16/2012 page 546
71.0% "Somebody buy me the next book on my list please, cuz this one doesn't have many pages left."
show 29 hidden updates…