Cath's Reviews > Blood Eye

Blood Eye by Giles Kristian

Feb 12, 12

Read in February, 2012, read count: once

For two years, Osric lived in a Christian village and worked for an old carpenter. People feared him because of his blood-red eye and his mysterious past.
Then, Vikings attack his village and he is taken as a prisoner on their ships.
Osric becomes one of the Norsemen and Sigurd, their leader, names him Raven.
Life is hard, but Raven is a quick-learner and he will become a great warrior. The only way to survive all the battles is killing other men and Raven is loyal to his jarl…

When I read the synopsis of this book, I wasn’t sure whether I would like the story or not, but I decided to sign-up for the challenge* and give it a try and if I wouldn’t enjoy this novel… So be it.
Fortunately, I did enjoy Raven and I’m happy that I gave it a try. I love historical fiction, but I had never read anything about Vikings, so I was interested in what they actually did.
I don’t think I know a lot more about Vikings then before I started to read this book, but that doesn’t matter. I knew they steal and fight and sail a lot, but I couldn’t imagine how hard that is. Especially the fighting scenes were really cruel and even disgusting at some points. I tried not to use my imagination and just read them quickly for not having nightmares (okay, I’m exaggerating).
Despite the hacking into each other, I loved the story and the information about the Vikings' gods.
There was a little touch of love that made the story even better for me.
Both women and men will love this novel, even if you don’t like fighting (me, for example)!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Eye.