Lucille's Reviews > The Evolution of Mara Dyer

Mar 06, 13

bookshelves: 5-stars, books-that-destroyed-me
Read from December 30, 2012 to January 25, 2013

Omg, thefeelsnoahjamieijustwanttokillthatdoctorjudephoebedeadkittens

Oh, Ms. Hodkin...what you do to me. How are you going to compensate for blowing up my mind? That ending. Why must you torture me... I need Retribution. NOW.

---
I LOVE THE FREAKIN' COVER!! I want this now. <3

UPDATE: NOOOOOOOOOO! I have to wait for 5 months after that teaser? Where's all the justice in this world?!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Evolution of Mara Dyer.

Quotes Lucille Liked

Michelle Hodkin
“We are far too screwed up for a goddamned love triangle.”

Michelle Hodkin
“The boy is destined for greatness, but with you, he is in danger. You are linked, the two of you. You must leave him. This is what I have seen.”

I grew frustrated. “Is he in danger because of me?”

“He will die before his time with you by his side, unless you let him go. Fate or chance? Coincidence or destiny? I cannot say.” Her voice had turned soft.

Soft and sad.

A fist closed around my heart. I tried to let him go once before. It didn’t work.

“I can’t,” was all I said to her, and quietly.

“Then you will love him to ruins,” she said, and let my hands go.”

Michelle Hodkin
“If I were to live a thousand years, I would belong to you for all of them. If we were to live a thousand lives, I would want to make you mine in each one.”
tags: love

Michelle Hodkin
“I’m too selfish to leave you,” I said. Noah pulled back so I could see his smile. “I’m too selfish to let you.”

Michelle Hodkin
“This was the boy I loved. A little bit messy. A little bit ruined. A beautiful disaster. Just like me.”

Michelle Hodkin
“You’re stronger than you believe. Don’t let your fear own you. Own yourself.”

Michelle Hodkin
“If I truly loved him, she said, I would let him go.
I wish I loved him enough.”

Michelle Hodkin
“I did something brave, then. Or stupid. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.”

Michelle Hodkin
“I’ll walk forever with stories inside me that the people I love the most can never hear.”

Michelle Hodkin
“Everyone is a little crazy. The only difference between us and them is that they hide it better.”

Michelle Hodkin
“My brother cleared his throat. "I wish she knew that I think she is the most hilarious person on Earth. And that whenever she's not home, I feel like I'm missing my partner in crime."
My throat tightened. Do not cry. Do not cry.
"I wish she knew that she's really Mom's favorite--"
I shook my head here.
"--the princess she always wanted. That Mom used to dress her up like a little doll and parade her around like Mara was her greatest achievement. I wish Mara knew that I never minded, because she's my favorite too.”

Michelle Hodkin
“Don’t tempt me. Now, what are you wearing?”
“A hoodie and drawstring pants too, I guess.”“Anything underneath?”
“I don’t typically walk around without underwear.”
“Typically?”
“Only on special occasions.”
“Christ. I meant under your hoodie”

Michelle Hodkin
“They lie, you know. It's not easier to ask for forgiveness. Not even a little.”

Michelle Hodkin
“The people we care about are always worth more to us than the people we don't. No matter what anyone pretends.”

Michelle Hodkin
“I want YOU to be the one wanting me first. Pushing me first. Kissing me first. Don't be careful with me," he said. "Because I won't be careful with you.”
tags: love

Michelle Hodkin
“I knew Noah worshipped Charlie Parker and that his toothbrush was green. That he wouldn't bother to button his shirts correctly but always made his bed. That when he slept he curled into himself and that his eyes were the color of the clouds before it rained, and I knew he had no problem eating meat but would stubly leave the room if animals started to kill one another on the Discovery Channel. I knew one hundered little things about Noah Shaw but when he kissed me I couldn't remember my own name.”

Michelle Hodkin
“Ladies and gentlemen, Jamal Feldstein-Roth.”
I blinked. “Wait, Jamal?”
“Suck it,” he said with a grin. “My parents are liberal Jews from Long Island, okay? They wanted me to have a connection to my heritage.” Jamie made air quotes with his fingers.
“I’m not judging—my middle name is Amitra. I’m just surprised.”
“Amitra,” Noah amused. “Mystery solved.”
“What is that?” Jamie asked me.
“Sanskrit? Hindi?” I shrugged.
“Randomly?”
I shook my head. “My mom’s Indian.”
“What does that mean?” Jamie asked me.
“What does Jamal mean?” I asked him.
“Point taken.”

Michelle Hodkin
“Dead end after dead end. Did you find the answers you were looking for in that book?”
“I haven’t had a chance to read it yet,” I said nonchalantly.
A half-smile tugged at Noah’s mouth. “You fell asleep, didn’t you?”
I lifted my chin. “No.”
“What page?”
“I didn’t fall asleep.”
“What page?”
Busted. “Six,”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mithrendiel Agreed!!! October can't get here soon enough! :) The cover makes me wonder if Mara will be saving Noah (from himself? From outside infulences?) in Evolution.

Lucille Or maybe, Noah will save Mara from Jude. :)