Susan's Reviews > Blame

Blame by Michelle Huneven

Jan 27, 12

Read in January, 2012

I vacillated between liking this novel and between feeling unsatisfied. "Blame" is the harrowing tale of Patsy MacLemoore , a brilliant out-of-control alcoholic college professor whose life is altered forever when she kills two people while driving drunk. Imprisoned for two years, she must rebuild her life, deal with her guilt, and seek redemption upon her release. There's much to ponder in this novel, including hope and redemption, AA, AIDS, friendship, family, and marriage.

There was much that I liked in this novel. There are some great character studies and the main characters feel authentic. However, the author's writing seemed uneven to me; while the use of third person narrative to move the story often flows and is beautifully descriptive, it is also a little dismissive of plot points that I would have liked less glossed over. Further, the dialogue often was too trivial, boring.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blame.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Susan I have to agree with you about Huneven being uneven. I read her Jamesland and it was good enough to finish but parts lagged.

Susan Yes, exactly. I almost abandoned, but I slogged through and eventually it got better.

message 3: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia The hook that kept me reading was she kept referring to William James the psychologist brother of writer Henry James.

Susan Oh, yes. She was an interesting character. Also, I admired her loyalty to her husband in spite of her having an emotional affair with the other professor.

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Nice, concise review, Susan.

Susan Barbara wrote: "Nice, concise review, Susan."

Thanks, Barb. At 1:30 in the morning, I don't want to elaborate too much, and I'm working for "succinct!"