Roger DeBlanck's Reviews > The Palace Thief: Stories

The Palace Thief by Ethan Canin

Jan 27, 2012

bookshelves: fiction

Whereas it might take several pages or more for a writer to hook an audience, with Canin’s work it’s the first sentence that indelibly pulls readers in and keeps them engrossed. Ethan Canin’s background in medicine allows for serious and fascinating exploration into the psychology and complexity of human character. His knowledge is vast about many fields of study. The combination of his erudition with that of his illuminating prose makes for a writer to cherish. In The Palace Thief, his immense talents as a writer of subtlety and grace are on complete display. The four lengthy stories in this collection are masterful at portraying life’s dilemmas and the memory and psychology of them. His characters wrestle with morals and values as their awareness of certain truths force them to ponder how and why things happen. He takes commonplace struggles and is remarkably able to extrapolate the ineffable. His stories feel like quiet, surefooted meditations on moral and mortal issues. They serve as backdrops and mirrors for us to consider our own choices. His work leaves readers reflecting and considering the decisions we make on our way through life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Palace Thief.

10/03/2016 marked as: read