Jess (Gone with the Words)'s Reviews > Black Heart

Mar 26, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, read-2012, autographed
Read from March 15 to 16, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Read this review on my blog! --> Black Heart by Holly Black

This series is genius. Genius, I tell you!! It has kept me guessing in every single installment. Never once have I had a correct guess at how things really are. I make a guess, and Holly Black proves me wrong. The results always exceed my expectations. It’s part of what I love about this series.

The other part is, of course, Cassel Sharpe. Cassel has become one of my favorite male protagonists. He’s tortured. We all love our tortured guys. He tries so hard to always do what’s right, but he struggles with it. He lives with such guilt that it makes him hate himself. I love how much he’s grown in the series. In this book he is more sure of himself and more sure of his power than ever. Cassel Sharpe is badassery personified.

The con in Black Heart had me on the edge of my seat until the very last moment. Mainly because it changed so much from beginning to end. I really didn’t know what would happen because there were several possibilities and outcomes.

I was extremely invested Cassel and Lila’s complicated relationship. They had so much distrust in each other’s feelings. Communication is key! Especially in relationships. So I was happy to see them finally breaking down and talking about everything honestly. I also enjoyed the moments when they weren’t talking, but being more…handsy. ;)

“I push her back against the wall, kissing her the way I’ve never let myself. I want to swallow her up. I want her to feel my regret in the slide of my mouth and taste devotion on my tongue.” – pg. 159

WOWZERS! I bow down to the intensity of that kissing scene, because there’s a lot more where that came from!

I have such conflicting feelings for one, Barron Sharpe. Half the time I want to kick his ass, the other half I want to cry for him. I want to believe that he has goodness in his heart! So he really surprised me in this book, and my heart broke for him in the end.

Sam, Cassel’s best friend and roommate, had some really classic moments. He always makes me laugh, but he also made me very worried this time. He and Daneca had a really rough time in this book. We get to see sides of them we’ve never known.

Black Heart finishes The Curse Workers series on a hopefully happily ever after note. I was really happy on how things turned out. Cassel needs to be selfish and make himself happy for as long as possible, and he takes the first steps toward that in the last page of Black Heart. Bravo, Holly Black. I am sad this series is over but am so happy to have experienced it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Heart.

03/15/2012 page 1
0.0% "I've missed you, Cassel!!" 4 comments
03/15/2012 page 3
1.0% ""Mine. The language of love is like that, possessive. That should be the first warning that it's not going to encourage anyone's betterment.""
03/15/2012 page 20
7.0% "Hahaha, man, I love Sam. He's great comic relief."
03/15/2012 page 66
22.0% "Ha! Nice nod to Cassie Clare & Libba Bray on this page!"
03/16/2012 page 82
28.0% "Love Grandad "When we fall that first time, we're not really in love with the girl. We're in love with being in love.""
03/16/2012 page 124
42.0% ""Sam glances at her, then back at me. Then he looks up toward heaven, like that's the only possible explanation for luck like mine with women. I can guarantee that's not where it comes from.""
03/16/2012 page 133
45.0% "Holy crap...what is Barron up to now?!" 1 comment
03/16/2012 page 159
54.0% "Oh,Ms. @hollyblack,that's one heck of a kissing scene!"
03/16/2012 page 256
86.0% "Lmao! WOW! I bow down to Cassel's badassery!"
03/16/2012 page 296
100.0% "That was a FANTASTIC book!"