Ratkin's Reviews > Fate's Edge

Fate's Edge by Ilona Andrews

Jan 27, 12

Read in January, 2012

Rather than recount the plot of this particular book (a thing I am loathe to do under the best of circumstances), I'd like to comment on the series as a whole. The most important thing to understand is that this is not really a series in the truest sense of the word. These three books share a 'world,' one that is made up of The Broken (i.e. where we live), The Weird (which is a place where magic is in full effect), and The Edge. The Edge is, not surprisingly, the in-between place. The world is, to a large extent, the star of the series. Every book has new main characters.

What makes the series so interesting and so accessible is that the books add to the overall cast rather than subtracting. In the first book we met Rose, her brothers George and Jack, and the mysterious Declan. Also present is William. William stars in the second book and meets Cerise, with Rose and Declan making cameo appearances. In this, the third book, we meet Audrey Callahan and Kaldar Mar, but with George and Jack from book one playing a major role and the two couples, Declan and Rose and William and Cerise, all popping up for at least a while. Each book has new main characters, but the familiar ones cycle through to maintain continuity.

It's a great approach, but it would be wasted without good plots. If you've read books by the husband and wife team known as Ilona Andrews before, you know that you can count on great plots. This is a really enjoyable series, and I'll be waiting for the next installment.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fate's Edge.