Bethany Vedder's Reviews > Searching for my wand

Searching for my wand by Bridget Straub

Jan 27, 2012

Read in January, 2012

Searching For My Wand was a truly enjoyable novel, and I hope to read more from Bridget! I found her sense of humor, mixed with wry and literal weavings of life and friendship a joy to read. The story is crafted with alternating present and future views, which introduces ideas and character growth in an intriguing puzzle. While I found it a bit disconcerting at first, I quickly found that I really enjoyed the style. You get glimpses of future hope while Glinda's struggling with her life, and it really makes you want to find out how she gets there.
Glinda, Adam, Paul, and Sophia are believable in their foibles, hopes, and decisions. Their characters flesh out slowly and steadily, and the past/present style draws stark contrasts that pull you in. There is no bad guy really, a refreshing change from most stories ... they're all human, flawed, and real. Sophia has shades of that perfect friend that we all think we have, but if you scrape off the varnish you find they struggle just as much as you do. The illustrations scattered throughout are a great touch too, an unusual treat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Searching for my wand.