Susanne's Reviews > Getting Off

Getting Off by Jill Emerson

Jan 27, 2012

liked it
Read from January 28 to February 01, 2012

As an ex-librarian (is one ever an ex-librarian? I think of it as a vocation, from which you can never quite get "out") --- anyway --- I always read the copyright page of books. Said page informs us that Getting Off is actually an expansion of four separate short stories from different anthologies (one of which was edited by George R.R. Martin A Game of Thrones by George R R Martin (???!!!)), melded together to form this new novel.

This would explain our main character's lack of consistent MO or signature and her adoption of different "roles" (and names!) to lure her victims.

If you've ever tried to rewrite an old piece of your own work, you know this task is VERY difficult. The fact that it succeeds here at all is worthy of a round of applause.

And it does succeed in being what its title claims - a novel of sex and violence. It's not a mystery, and while it is dark, it's not a noir piece. Another reviewer called it a fantasy, I believe, and that would be a good way to sum it up - a fantasy (in that there is never any danger of the main character getting caught, getting diseased, getting pregnant, etc.) in which She kills her lovers and we're along for the ride.

Nobody is particularly like-able, but there are a couple twists, and it's one of the "happier" Hard Case Crime products so if you like the HCC imprint, you'll probably enjoy this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting Off.