Les Walters's Reviews > The Collected Works of St. Teresa of Avila. Volume 2: The Way of Perfection, Meditations on the Song of Songs, The Interior Castle

The Collected Works of St. Teresa of Avila. Volume 2 by Teresa of Ávila

Jan 27, 2012

bookshelves: for-frequent-use
Read in November, 2011

As a Carmelite Secular (i.e. a lay member of the Carmelite Order, founded by St Teresa in 16th century), I keep coming back to The Way of Perfection again and again, and always learn something new and important. It's foundational to our prayer life as we're committed to the practise of contemplative prayer and to growth in holiness and Teresa knew what she was talking about. Kieran Kavanaugh and Otilio Rodriguez have done a fine job of translating from the Spanish and making Teresa intelligble and coherent. Still, it does take time and effort to grasp and absorb what she teaches. The effort is worthwhile. But if you're serious about prayer, you'll need to revisit Teresa often...it's a sort of broadening upward spiral.

My Carmelite Community in Sydney, Australia, read and discussed Way of Perfection during 2011 and we're currently studying The Book of Her Foundations. This is all part of the preparation for the 500th anniversary of our Founder's birth in 2015. The entire Carmelite Order is systematically studying all of St Teresa's writings over the 5 years leading up to 2015. Next year we again study The Interior Castle, included in this volume (2)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Collected Works of St. Teresa of Avila. Volume 2.

09/09/2016 marked as: read