Michael's Reviews > Morning Glories, Vol. 1: For a Better Future

Morning Glories, Vol. 1 by Nick Spencer

Jan 27, 2012

bookshelves: graphic-novel, read-in-2012
Read in January, 2012

Delving into the world of comic books and graphic novels, it's hard to know where to start. Oh sure, there are the big names in the field and the superhero dramas that I read growing up. But at some point, I feel like I want to branch out a bit and try something new or different. The question, as always, is where do I start?

My local library offers a wide variety of graphic novels and collected arcs from various comic books. That's a huge help given the sometimes higher entry price point for such collections. But again, it's still difficult to know where to begin or which author, artist or series might appeal most to me.

Enter Morning Glories. I've heard a lot of positive buzz for it from some trusted on-line sources with similar interests to my own. I also heard comparisons to Lost. So when my library got a copy of the first two collections of story arcs from the series, I decided to take the plunge and reserve them.

So far, so good.

The first arc, taking place over six issues and collected in this volume, introduces us to universe, characters and situation. Six new students are chosen from the Morning Glories Academy, a mysterious institution that seems to harbor some kind of ominous secret. The Lost comparisons come in the form of flashbacks to various characters time before they came to the Academy and why they're there. These helps flesh out the characters a bit as well as creating some intrigue and tension as the story evolves.

A couple of things appeal to me about this series. The first is the solid art work. The second is that there appears to some thought behind the overall story line and I've read in various place that the series isn't planned to run indefinitely but will have a definitive beginning, middle and end. The third is that in just six issues, the story managed to pull in a few surprises and twists that feel earned and open up a larger world of stories for the series going forward.

It's all enough to hook me and keep me interested to see if and where this might all go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Morning Glories, Vol. 1.

Ronyell Awesome review Michael! I'm excited for this series too!

Michael Ronyell wrote: "Awesome review Michael! I'm excited for this series too!"

Thank you! I think you'll enjoy it!

Ronyell Michael wrote: "Ronyell wrote: "Awesome review Michael! I'm excited for this series too!"

Thank you! I think you'll enjoy it!"

You're welcome! It seems like a pretty interesting series!