y's Reviews > After Dark

After Dark by Haruki Murakami

Jul 10, 08

did not like it

ugh. what a boring read: another "beautiful" but lost japanese girl + confused sister + dude on a motorcycle... all going nowhere a little slowly, which is the point, i suppose. i don't even care that my copy is signed by mr. murakami... the signature didn't make the book any more interesting.

i read somewhere murakami has just come out with a book of short stories about marathon running (he's a marathoner??) and what he thinks of whilst running. my guesses? jazz, records, smoking, cats, mysterious women and probably noodles and/or dunkin donuts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After Dark.

Prathima Hmm...I agree with everything you said, but I enjoyed it anyway. Maybe because it's my first Murakami. I did find all the parts where Eri gets sucked into the TV kind of distracting, though -- I'd have rather read more about the prostitute, prostitute beater, and motorcycle guy.

message 2: by Suzanne (last edited Mar 23, 2009 05:57PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suzanne What I Talk About When I Talk About Running is far more disappointing than After Dark. It reads like the unedited journal entries of a pretty ordinary person who's gotten into an introspective mood. A very easy read, but not really worth even so little trouble.

message 3: by y (new) - rated it 1 star

y Suzanne wrote: "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running is far more disappointing than After Dark. It reads like the unedited journal entries of a pretty ordinary person who's gotten into an introspective moo..."

Thanks for the heads up about this book! Classic Murakami to write like an ordinary person who's become introspective. But usually, such introspection occurs after a death or divorce. If he's simply thinking these things whilst running, it doesn't seem like an adventure in a netherworld awaits.

cheeseflavoredcorncurls whoa! you got a signed copy?! ahaha. really? its that bad?! i just bought one though. ohhhh!

message 5: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom haha can i have your signed copy? i loved this book

Darren C hahaha. i loved the book but had a seriously hearty laugh at '... what he thinks of whilst running. my guesses? jazz, records, smoking, cats, mysterious women and probably noodles and/or dunkin donuts. '

Katie I disagree with all this, so I would beg for ur signed copy.

Igor Duk Wow. What a precise summary of the book.