Jessica's Reviews > The Sisters

The Sisters by Nancy Jensen

Jan 27, 12

In many ways, this was an exceptional book, especially in the small view. The details about the various characters were keen and clear and often poignant and real.

In other ways, this was like a long slog, a narrative of all the terrible things that can happen to women--mostly oppressive male relationships, some abusive, some just terrible. The only two happy main characters are the ones who are/become eventually single, Mabel and Grace. The rest of this angry, sad, upset batch of unhappy women never learned from their mistakes and never reconnected with the ones that would help them do so. Maybe in their dreams they do, but not in real life.

While reading a story like this does give one pause for thought--do I really care that she said/did that all those years ago--I'm not sure one should necessarily read a whole novel to prove the point that some wrongs should be dropped.

However, I finished it, if just to see if anyone came out of this story better off, and maybe, just maybe, two young women will.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sisters.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol I read about the book and thought I probably wouldn't like! Have you noticed that there are a lot of books coming out with pictures of teacups on the covers?

Jessica I have not noticed the tea cup phenomena! Will start to look.