Tamelyn Feinstein's Reviews > It's So Easy: And Other Lies

2203920
Jan 30, 12

bookshelves: i-know-it-s-only-rock-n-roll-but, memoirs
Read from January 27 to 30, 2012

I have a soft spot for rock and roll memoirs, and I've read quite a few. I've found that, overall, they tend to be quite self-indulgent, salacious, and entertaining; I've also found they tend to NOT be well-written, thoughtful, or deep.

I've never been a big G'n'R fan, although I appreciate their unique contribution to the late 80s - early 90s rock scene. However, when I recently came across an interview with Duff McKagan on an afternoon TV talk show, I was struck by his intelligence, thoughtfulness, and sense of personal responsibility (three things one doesn't generally expect to see in a world class hard-ass rock star). So I decided to read his memoir.

Imagine my surprise to find that his book is just as intelligent, thoughtful, and personally responsible as he appeared to be on camera. His story is occasionally harrowing, yet he casts no stones at his bandmates and friends, only mourning the ones who didn't survive. Now a husband and father of two girls,he is discreet on some aspects of his past (I.e. sexual), and he glosses over some of the intraband conflicts, but he is unsparing as to his own personal failings with alcohol and drugs. After these things nearly killed him, he managed to find a way back through exercise, martial arts, education, and the support and love of his family and friends. The paragraphs where he described his redemption through his newfound joy of literature were incredibly moving to me.

There is still debauchery and fun and the joy of raw musical expression to be found here, and his descriptions of the early Seattle punk scene made me feel like I was there. This was damn near a five star book for me. Enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's So Easy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Feinstein Wonderful review, Tam. I definitely want to read this now, and I think Scott would love it as well. Thanks for writing this!