Stephanie's Reviews > New Girl

New Girl by Paige Harbison

2031409
Jan 27, 12

bookshelves: arc, high-school, kindle, mystery

** spoiler alert ** high school & up

When she read Harry Potter for the first time, her dream was to attend a fancy boarding school. She has finally gotten in and isn't as thrilled about the idea anymore. Her spot at Manderly used to belong to Becca. Becca was always the life of every party... until she went missing. Now it is hard to fit in when everyone compares you to an idolized missing girl. Especially when your roommate is fanatically convinced that Becca chose to disappear and will return any moment.

Really intriguing book. I loved that the school's name was Manderly since there is such a major character who isn't actually there. Brings up such connections/parallels with Rebecca. I'm sure the author at least had that in the back of her mind. I would recommend this for inclusion in an literature class but there are some scenes that will make parents twitchy, so I advise caution to all. (Anyone recognize that quote?)

I was completely caught up in the story. I could never quite settle the mystery of Becca in my head. Was she really dead or did she just decide to go wander off? I kept going back and forth. Which is great; I love a story that can do that to me. Also, on the very last page, something was revealed that made me stop and think. I couldn't believe I didn't notice. But when I did and thought about it, it really makes perfect sense with the story. Very cool. If you want a spoiler then highlight below.

>>Spoiler Alert<<
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The main character's name isn't mentioned until the last page. Which I thought was nifty.
>>Here endeth the spoiler<<

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read New Girl.