Stephanie's Reviews > The Diamond of Drury Lane

The Diamond of Drury Lane by Julia Golding

2031409
Jan 27, 12

bookshelves: adventure, historical, kindle, mystery

middle school & up
Cat Royal adventures #1

Catherine called Cat has spent her entire life backstage at the Royal Theatre in Drury Lane. One day she overhears the theatre manager discussing the protection of a diamond to be hidden in the theatre. Cat feels great loyalty to the manager for taking her in as an infant and decides to find the diamond so she can help protect it. She also makes a few new friends: Pedro, a young ex-slave who is a gifted musician, Johnny, the new prompter, and Francis & Elizabeth, the children of a Duke. The trouble is a local street tough is angry with Cat and wants to steal the diamond.

**Odd disclaimer - I had to buy this book. No one forced me or anything but I know I've mentioned my series compulsion before. I received a free ARC of a book that comes later in the series. I can't read that one without reading everything else first.**
This was a pretty good adventure story. It didn't seem to have much of a direction though. I really liked Cat, she is brave and loyal. She even managed to get educated which was a big deal for girls in her time. Her life as a "runner" for the theatre actually gives her a lot more freedom than the higher class ladies had.
I forgave the lack of direction since I liked Cat so much. It is also nice to get an actual adventure story for the girls. The tomboy girls, anyway. Cat does get all gussied up once in the book but there isn't any sudden realization of how great it is to be a girlie-girl. I approve of that.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diamond of Drury Lane.