Bobbi's Reviews > The Dead Horse Paint Company

Feb 25, 12

liked it
bookshelves: 2012-read, mystery, firefighter
Read from January 27 to 30, 2012

Considering this was published in 1997, I think it's safe to say this is probably the last of Mac Fontana we will see. I do think this was a great non-ending book to the series. Mac doesn't ride off in the sunset, in fact in literary land where lives and series are ongoing, I am sure that Mac is still Chief of Staircase Washington fire department.

Dead Horse Paint Company was a block-long building back east that had been divided, subdivided, and then open up again creating a maze of walls, subfloors, and dead ends. A firefighters nightmare. Fire that reignited in this building causes deaths and trauma for the survivors.

This past comes back to haunt Fontana as he finds a former chief from the fire burnt beyond recognition in a car fire thousands of miles from home. The question isn't who may have killed him as many didn't like the Chief but rather who finally killed him.

Like most Fontana novels, this mystery is tightly wrapped and winds back on itself before the who-dun-it is revealed.

I would recommend this series to anyone who enjoys mysteries and especially those focusing on firefighters instead of cops.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead Horse Paint Company.

01/27/2012 page 55