Meagan's Reviews > Saving June

Saving June by Hannah Harrington

Jan 28, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, ya-slut-shaming, ya-sex, ya-love, ya-grief, ya-friendship, ya-family, ya-coping
Read from January 27 to 28, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I'm wavering between 3 and 4 stars. It's not a big deal, but there are a lot of things about this book that are holding me back from giving it that extra star, I guess. While I liked it, and I will absolutely recommend it in the future, and I will look forward to Hannah Harrington's future books.

If I read one more YA book that's rife with the kind of slut-shaming crap that applies to Laney, I'm going to start writing angry letters to the authors. It was out of place. The entire sub-plot here about "omg my friend Laney is such a super-slutty-slut-slut she makes out with people and being a judgmental little brat, I have to comment on it and make her feel bad," was easily what made me not "really" like it, as opposed to like it.

And yeah, we get it, this girl is just so smart and above everyone else because while her friends is tanning her legs, she's reading VONNEGUT, and one of the things she uses to judge people is their opinion on AYN RAND (admittedly, I can't blame her on that, but come on??). And Jake, we get it, you're a huge pretentious hipster douche. I'm not impressed.

Laney was obviously the best character, but of course, she got the "ew ur such a slut" treatment, which is pretty crappy. The whole "oh no, I am a slutty-slut-slut who got pregnant and maybe this miscarriage is because I'm a terrible person!" was screwed up. Laney, I hope you come back in another one of Hannah Harrington's books.

The rest of this book was pretty okay. The roadtrip, the dead sister, all of that. What I did like about this book was how the whole "dead sister suicide" thing was dealt with. We see sorrow and grief in all the right places, but it's not a time-suck, and there isn't too much emotion. I never got a lot of emotion from this book, and I liked that. June isn't much of a character, and I think that's the way it was meant to be? At least, I hope so. She didn't have any outstanding qualities that would have set her aside from other people, and that was refreshing to find.

It's pretty okay, and maybe you should read it if you like pretentious douchebags who hit it off and fall in love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving June.

01/28/2012 page 96
30.0% "So... it's a good book so far, but I don't really like Harper. And I don't care for the "LOOK HOW INDIE I AM I AM SO SMART" games she plays. But so far, c+" 4 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lexie Hope you like this one as much as I did. :)

Meagan In the end, I'd read another one of Hannah Harrington's books. I guess that's what counts.