willaful's Reviews > Straight from the Hip

Straight from the Hip by Susan Mallery

Jan 28, 12

bookshelves: prisoner-of-love, bye, tortured-hero
Read from January 27 to 28, 2012, read count: 1

3.5 stars. An explosion cost Izzy Titan most of her eyesight and almost all of her interest in life. When she refuses to even consider the surgery that would almost certainly restore her sight, her desperate sisters hire Nick Hollister to drag her off to his ranch. Through tough love from Nick and his staff, Izzy begins to deal with her situation, face her fears about the surgery, and fall in love. But she has no idea that Nick’s hire was no accident -- his oldest, closest friend is Garth, the man whose vendetta against the Titans may have been the cause of her accident.

Although it had many serious themes, this wasn’t a downer like the previous book in the series. I was irked by Izzy’s pity party at first: “Why me?” she whines. Um, maybe because you were a thrill-seeker who deliberately took a lot of risks? What, you think being a Titan makes you invulnerable? But luckily, unlike Mitch in the previous book, Izzy snaps out of it fairly quickly; she’s still realistically frightened and worried, but making an effort to adjust. Her wry sense of humor comes back to life -- that, and the likable secondary characters, keep the tone of the book from sinking into the mire.

Although it might stand alone, I appreciated this most as part of the series. The Titan sisters are really coming together as a family -- after being almost driven apart by their coldhearted father -- and the situation with Garth is intensifying in a very interesting direction. He’s a very cool but deeply troubled character and I’m looking forward to seeing him redeemed.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Straight from the Hip.