Sara's Reviews > Gone Girl

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Sep 16, 12

bookshelves: 2012, mystery, adult-fiction
Read on September 15, 2012

Amy Dunne disappears on her 5th wedding anniversary, leaving behind her husband Nick who's evasive with the police but swears he's innocent. There's no body, but evidence is quickly mounting against Nick. As he struggles to chase down clues and figure out what happened to Amy, her diary entries note that there was a much darker side of their marriage and that she was scared of him. Nick swears this isn't true, but he's got secrets of his own and can't believe what the clues he's chasing seem to be leading him to.

I loved this book! There were basically three parts to the book, based on the timeline (how long since her disappearance) and the narration jumped between Amy and Nick, beginning with him describing the day of her disappearance and the ones that followed, then Amy's voice through diary entries that begin when the two of them first meet. The way the author chose to tell this story was absolutely perfect, as it allowed me to get a full picture of their life together and the very different outlooks they had.

One of the best things about this book was the fact that I never knew what was really going on or who was lying. Obviously, Amy and Nick both had things they could lie about, and Nick admits to the reader that he's lied multiple times, but you don't understand what he's lied about or why - at least not at first. It made me question what else he might be hiding. And then there are Amy's diary entries, which Nick swears aren't true, he was never abusive toward her, but why would she lie about this in her diary? There were so many twists and turns in this book, I never knew what would happen next or who was lying to who!

I read this entire book in a day, unable to put it down. I loved the constant mysteries and suspense, and the explanation for all the inexplicable things was done so, so well. I absolutely loved the way all the mysteries were explained at the end, although I didn't fully love the ending itself. I wished there had been a slightly different conclusion, one that was more concrete, but the plot itself was amazing. Definitely a book I'd recommend to others! If you like dark, thrilling mysteries, this is a book for you.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Girl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tori I'll look forward to reading this one!