Toni's Reviews > The Island at the Center of the World: The Epic Story of Dutch Manhattan and the Forgotten Colony That Shaped America

The Island at the Center of the World by Russell Shorto

F 50x66
Jan 27, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: abandoned, bubble-gum-history

A very different type of history book--maybe what I would describe as "Boy Adventure Book" history or "Bedtime story" history. The author is generally careful to point out when he's speculating by including "could" and "would" rather than stating his speculations as actual fact (a la Erik Larson), and at first I thought I was going to enjoy his unusual style, especially as I was listening to it as an audio book. I really did enjoy the first disc. But by disc 2 I wanted to take away Shorto's thesaurus and smack him with it. A nonfiction historical book that involves descriptions like "chests heaving?" I couldn't take 11 more discs of heaving chests and the abuse of aggressive verbs to overly-sensationalize a subject that should have been interesting on its own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Island at the Center of the World.