Tatum's Reviews > The Anatomist's Apprentice

Feb 05, 12

bookshelves: mystery, read-in-2012
Recommended for: Mystery and Cozy Mystery Fans
Read from February 01 to 04, 2012

I enjoyed this book so much. There is something about the language and flow of the passages that is truly enticing, though I can't quite put my finger on it. It's not that it's formal (because it's extremely accessible) but it has a certain class to it I guess you could say.

It's a very plot driven book and what a plot! There were a number of occasions where I was sure I knew what was going on and then something would be done or said and I would need to read just one more chapter to try to figure that bit out. And then it would happen again. Harris manages to include many twists and turns without becoming convoluted. The pace is slower but steady. Each chapter unfolds to reveal just a little bit more, even if at first not all the pieces of the puzzle seem to fit.

If I have one complaint about the book it's that while I was eating up the plot, I thought the characters could have been a little more developed. On the one hand you had very clear descriptions of them and their personalities. But somehow it was difficult to become emotionally invested in them. I am going to put that down to the writing style and the fact that plot obviously was paramount, because I have no real good reason for why that was so. Though having said that, I did quite like the Anatomist of the story, Dr. Thomas Silkstone.

Overall an entertaining, well thought out and constructed book and well worth the time spent reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Anatomist's Apprentice.