Phillip's Reviews > Nova Express

Nova Express by William S. Burroughs

Jan 27, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites, my-visionaries

"Nova Express" one of the novels in the "Nova Express" trilogy. Warning: William S. Burroughs is not for everybody. He is not for children and he may be offensive to you. I do not want to mislead someone into reading something as though it were a book that anyone can benefit from reading.

The thing I like about the books in the "Nova Express" trilogy are the wacky voices. "Nova Express" begins with a statement from Inspector Lee, whose job is to disrupt the work of the Venusians (inhabitants of the planet) conspiring to cause a Nova event (their work is called a Nova Conspiracy) on places like Earth.

It is the voice of a crazy who is paranoid, who believes he can see directives all around him on public signs, everywhere. You don't have a traditional story in which anything is seen. It is routines of voices and descriptions of events from the world of a Junkie, living life on the edge.

I have talked with people who live on the streets and even read some things written by a person who was concerned about the Cybercops. Burroughs sounds like the person who wrote those flyers.

The imaginative place that Burroughs brings the reader to can be funny, it isn't a fun place to be and it won't make you feel good to be there. But it is interesting and I believe it has literary merit.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nova Express.