Jodi Papazian's Reviews > Surface Tension: A Novel in Four Summers

Surface Tension by Brent Runyon

Jan 28, 12

bookshelves: ya-reads
Read in January, 2012

Surface Tension: A Novel in Four Summers follows Luke from ages 13-16 as his family makes their annual trip to their summer home. Each summer, Luke's family will spend 2 weeks at the lake and for Luke at 13, that's nowhere near long enough. He would stay all year if his parents could afford it. However, as Luke ages, he begins to dread the annual trip there. Suddenly what once seemed magical is boring. Where he once loved the isolation, he soon grows frustrated with the lack of cell phone service. Adding to Luke's frustrations is his growing embarrassment of his parents who get silly when they drink and hold crazy vendettas against the other neighbors. By the end of Luke's 16th summer, he is starting to realize that even though the magic of his earlier years there is long gone, he can find a new appreciation at his summer home.
I really liked this book because I related to it in so many ways. Like Luke, we had a summer home that used to seem like the best place ever when I was younger. However, as with the case with many teenagers, those few weeks you spent there that were once the best of the year, soon become filled with boredom and you dread going there.
Surface Tension is a really great book for boys. Brent Runyon did a great job writing for Luke at all the different ages. I think this might be a better read for older YA boys who might relate a little better to Luke's experiences. This one is definitely going out as a Staff pick.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surface Tension.